For Sale 1973 FJ40 in Utah with many upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Life has presented me with a great opportunity, and unfortunately, this opportunity requires a bunch of money! So, with great sadness, I have decided to sell my FJ40. I've owned this vehicle for about 13 years, and in that time, I have poured an amazing amount of time and money into it. I never expected to sell it, but here it is. This Cruiser underwent a full frame-off restoration about 9 years ago, and in the process of putting it back together, I spent an absurd amount of money and time to make it exactly how I wanted it.

After installing the power steering frame mount, shackle reversal kit, and V-8 motor mounts onto the frame, I had the entire frame sand blasted and then powder coated. The tub was completely stripped, rusted portions of the rear were replaced with new metal, and then the bottom was undercoated, and the inside was Rhino-lined. I separated the fiberglass top from the steel ring it's riveted to, sandblasted and painted the steel ring, re-riveted the whole assembly together, and repainted the top. I also installed a new headliner to finish it off. The rear factory 2 piece swing out tailgate was converted into a fold down one piece tailgate. The entire vehicle wiring harness was replaced with a Painless Wiring 18 circuit harness.

My asking price for this truck is $15,900 or best offer. I'm willing to entertain offers, but I'm not desperate to sell it either. I have far more into it in just parts than that. I understand that I will not get anywhere close to what I spent on it back out of it, but I don't want to give the thing away, either!

The list below details the parts I have added to this truck along the way:

--1973 FJ40

--1996 Vortec 350 multi-port fuel injected V8

--2001 Dodge NV4500-HD 5 speed tranny mated to FJ62 split transfer case using Advance Adapters conversion parts

--Advance Adapters bellhousing conversion kit with Centerforce clutch

--Disc-brake front FJ40 axle with drilled and slotted rotors

--Drum FJ60 rear axle with working emergency brake

--4.88 R&P with ARB locker in rear. I have a new in box ARB locker for front that's not installed, plus I have the install kit for it. This will be included in the sale (close to $1,000 in parts right there!)

--OME 2.5" springs with Man-Fre 4+Plus Shackle Reversal Kit in front and anti-inversion shackles front and rear

--22 gallon Man-a-fre rear gas tank

--Rhino-lined tub interior

--Autometer Ultra-lite series gauges- speedo, tach, oil pressure, temp, and fuel level (fuel level not hooked up)

--New this year Optima Blue-top battery

--Warn M8274-50 winch with steel line- winch in beautiful condition but line has a kink as I recall

--Saginaw PS conversion with ARG high performance steering box and pump, and IDIDIT tilt steering column with Grant steering wheel

--Frame was sand blasted and powder coated

--Rear bumper made by Stout MFG with swingout carrier

--Fold-down rear tail gate

--ARB snorkel (not actually hooked up to anything, but looks cool...)

--Old Kayline soft top with 2-piece soft doors. Starting to show its age unfortunately with a few cracks in the rear side windows

--Factory hard top and doors with new headliner installed

--New as of last year- 4 Goodyear Mt/r tires- 315/75R16 on aluminum wheels (wheels aren't new) and good matching Mt/r spare with about 25% tread

--Some brand, cant remember for sure who... probably Specter- carpet kit

--Bushwhacker fender flares

--Be Cool aluminum radiator with custom mount

--Painless wiring harness- 18 circuit

--Stock roll cage

--Sliding rear windows on hard top sides

--Tuffy locking center console

--Hella Rallye 4000 Series aux. front lights

--Man-A-Fre 2 inch body lift

Known issues or defects:

--Front pinion seal leaks, but that would be resolved with the install of the ARB

--Battery currently sits in recessed area of tub where the factory gas tank used to be mounted, and needs a real mounting system (bungee cords do the job currently)

--No heater is installed currently, though I have all the components for it

--Windshield has small rock chip

--Hood has small dimple from where the plastic stock Vortec fan exploded and dented it from the inside out

--Both front fenders have many tiny dimples from rocks flinging off the tires and dinging the inside of the fenders

--Passenger side rocker panel has a small dent right by the seam where the tub meets the cowl (bad idea to trust drunk spotters!)

--Small dent in rear passenger side quarter panel from a trailer malfunction...

--Hard top fiberglass top has small leak where its attached to the metal ring (sealer I used when I restored the top shrunk and cracked after I painted it)

--Seats suck... they came out of I believe a Mazda MPV, and have seen better days and are mounted to a pretty lame tube mount that sucks as well...

This truck is very capable in its current form, and I have driven it to some great places, wheeled it hard, and driven home without incident. I have put about 60,000 miles on it since I built it, and it's never let me down.

It would cost far more than my asking price just to buy the parts that I have installed on this Cruiser, not to mention the labor that would be required. I'm not desperate to sell this vehicle, and I know full well what I have invested in it, so please don't hit me up with low-ball offers.

This Cruiser is located in Tooele, Utah. Please give me a call if you are interested.

I have posted some pictures of it that I had handy on my computer. I will get some more current and detailed pictures taken in the next day or so and update my ad with them.

As I mentioned in the ad above, in addition to the vehicle itself, I will include the factory hard top with doors and rear hatch, the Kayline soft top with 2 piece doors, and a brand new in-the-box ARB locker and install kit for the front axle.

I also have a huge collection of spare parts for it that I will include with the sale if I get close to my asking price, which includes an extra differential rebuild kit, transfer case rebuild kit, all sorts of wheel and pinion seals and bearings, an FJ60 complete front axle that I was going to install but never got around to, a Man-a-fre dual battery tray, complete stock heater assembly, etc. If it goes to a Land Cruiser, and it's in my shop, it will be included in the sale! I also have a really depressing and comprehensive folder with all the receipts and literature for parts I have installed on the Cruiser.

Thanks,

Chad

435-830-5668
fall pics 073 [].jpg
IMG_0024 [].JPG
IMG_0023 [].JPG

Last edited:
and more pictures... not sure how or if you can add more than 3 pictures per post
fall pics 072 [].jpg
my truck, puppy, sunrise on christmas 002 [].jpg
my truck, puppy, sunrise on christmas 003 [].jpg

Ya, it really is mine too! It kills me to actually consider selling it. I have put so much time into it and have had so many great times in it. I found a dream house that I really really want though, so I gotta sell off a few of my other dream toys!

I think that's my dream 40.

I would also be willing to consider a partial trade for an unmolested, stock, preferably rust-free FJ40. Would mostly be interested in one that's got the 2F, disc brake front end, and 4 speed transmission (1976-1983 basically), but I would be open to earlier models too if they are in great condition. I don't want to exit the Cruiser world with the sale of my FJ40 here, I just need to free up some cash, and quick!

Hmm... I really am willing to entertain reasonable offers for this truck. Am I asking way too much for this? Are people just not buying expensive toys with the current weak economy? Should I have painted it bright red instead?

Please let me know if my asking price is unreasonable... I know that I couldn't even buy the parts that I have installed on this thing for what I'm asking for it, let alone buy the parts and turn it into a functioning vehicle.

Thanks,
Chad

That is a damn nice rig. What kind of MPG are you getting and what part of Utah are you in?

That is a damn nice rig. What kind of MPG are you getting and what part of Utah are you in?

Thanks for the kind words! I average about 15-17, but totally depends on how I drive. I'm located out in Tooele.

1978 fj40

Would you consider a trade with a basket case 1978 fj40 in all original condition

Bump- Needs to go to the top

This truck has found a new owner as of today! Her new owner is relocating her to Washington state. :crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom