Craigslist Search Utility (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wrote a little search utility to make my life easier when I was searching for my 80, shopping for lenses, etc. on Craigslist. I posted this some time ago on the 80 tech page. I waited until I finally got the initiative to get a domain name and get it linked with my server to make the announcement here. And I added a third search field. Anyway, here is the link:

States

There is a writeup on the 80s tech page on how to use it here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/243020-craigslist-search.html

Basically, I got tired of searching "Denver" for "Land Cruiser" and then "Landcruiser" and then "LX450" and then going and doing the same miserable thing for "Boulder" and then "Ft Collins" and then, well you get the idea.

This app lets you say what you want to look for and dispatches the queries and writes them back in one response. You can limit it so you don't have to see 56 when there are only a couple new ones per day. It also condenses the output with smaller font and packs the links a little which I like.

It will also let you search other categories other than cars, just look at the pulldown.

If there are any errors like some city doesn't work or Craigs has added a city since I last updated, go ahead and PM me and I'll fix it. Craigs has also changed the category variables from time to time so I have to tweak it every 6 mos or so.

Paul

This tool kicks ass! Thanks a bunch.

Wow...this makes things soooo much easier. Thanks for this little tool

Thanks,that works really good! Only thing I noticed is that is does not show some of the older posts on there.Try entering landcruiser in one word,I found a bunch on there that did not show up just entering land cruiser,go figure.

Thanks,that works really good! Only thing I noticed is that is does not show some of the older posts on there.Try entering landcruiser in one word,I found a bunch on there that did not show up just entering land cruiser,go figure.

As far as Craigslist is concerned, "land cruiser" is different than "landcruiser". And you don't want to enter "cruiser" cause you'll get PTs and FJs. That is one of the motivators for the tool to begin with.

As far as not getting some of the older ones, if you leave it at the default of "10", you probably will only get new ones. Set that drop down to 100 and you'll get 'em all. If you don't, by all means tell me and I'll fix that pretty quick. And when you do tell me, give me the actual search parameters (cities and search strings).

And thanks for all the positive feedback. I get alot from this web site and it's nice to know I'm giving something back. I'm probably not gonna give much back on the technical front unless people want to know how to take 3x longer to do jobs ;)

Paul

That search tool is fantastic. I was complaining of the exact problem you described. I just didn't have the skillz to build a tool like yours. Great job!

Any chance in expanding with an option for price capping my searches?

Last edited:
This fixxes the only thing about craigslist that I hated. Thank you so much. You're the man.

you can also use google, click on the advanced search tab then type in what you want to search then put whatever website you would like to search in the last box

Any chance in expanding with an option for price capping my searches?

You know, I would love that too. The only problem is people don't put them in the title often times and it would be time consuming (although doable) to follow the links to find a price.

The mod that is probably most likely to happen is to limit based on the date. That is actually pretty easy and could be done in an hour or so.

The other filter is 'by owner' or 'by dealer'. I'm somewhat bigoted in this respect and I imagine this crowd is too. I needed to ask many questions to the PO before I would buy.

Nice little app. Only problem I had was searching on Idaho, I get Twin Falls and Spokane as my only choices. Boise is missing. Spokane's in Washington.

Thanks!

Nice little app. Only problem I had was searching on Idaho, I get Twin Falls and Spokane as my only choices. Boise is missing. Spokane's in Washington.

Thanks!

This kind of thing is a 30 second update to the database for me. You got three new cities in Idaho to search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom