Yaesu FT-7900R/E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm relatively new to HAM radios (I've been playing around with a handheld Baofeng) but now have a Land Cruiser with a unit installed by the previous owner. Thankfully he left the owner's manual in the glovebox. :)
image.jpeg

I'm relatively new to HAM radios (I've been playing around with a handheld Baofeng) but now have a Land Cruiser with a unit installed by the previous owner. Thankfully he left the owner's manual in the glovebox. :)View attachment 2008276
That's a confusing picture. There is a Cobra CB radio and the mobile ham radio. I assume there is a separate microphone for the ham unit.

That's a confusing picture. There is a Cobra CB radio and the mobile ham radio. I assume there is a separate microphone for the ham unit.
I agree the photo is indeed confusing. The HAM microphone is tucked away in one of the cubby holes.

Last edited:
Perhaps this photo will clear up the confusion. Since I don't plan to use both radios at the same time, I only have one microphone clip.
image.jpeg

Use the Yaesu mobile radio, as you do have a ham callsign. Next, take the Baofeng radio and park on a hard surface, using Baofeng as a wheel chock behind your rear tire.

Then, run the truck in reverse.

See, the Baofeng wasn't a very good wheel chock! Don't worry, it wasn't a very good radio either.

I've had the best results in Yaesu ham mobiles or portables, Kenwood being a second. I work as a motorola two-way radio technician, and those commercial mobiles are built better still, especially the public safety grade.

Use the Yaesu mobile radio, as you do have a ham callsign. Next, take the Baofeng radio and park on a hard surface, using Baofeng as a wheel chock behind your rear tire.

Then, run the truck in reverse.

See, the Baofeng wasn't a very good wheel chock! Don't worry, it wasn't a very good radio either.

I've had the best results in Yaesu ham mobiles or portables, Kenwood being a second. I work as a motorola two-way radio technician, and those commercial mobiles are built better still, especially the public safety grade.
The little Baofeng served its purpose in that it allowed me to listen to a number of local conversations which hopefully taught me some of the "do's and don't's" of communicating via HAM. It's now relegated to the glovebox. (In case I need a chock)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom