Would you prefer the 80 in Diesel or Gas? (1 Viewer)

Gas or Diesel?

• Gas

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Diesel

Votes: 92 88.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

intercooled, direct injection turbo-diesel like my jetta tdi. That thing motors and still gets great fuel economy. But I'd want an automatic.

I had two bj70's, and in mild wheeling they got 20-22 mpg U.S.

Diesel, if they can use the new technology that makes them almost as quiet as a gas guzzler.

A bit of history might help us answer a few questions...

Diesel traditionally was stinky, dirty, loud, non responsive compared to gassers, and so on. As a result Toyota decided to leave behind the trucky part of the LCs and bring in the luxo utes that were quiet, plush, fast, and car like on the road. This is why you cant get the poverty pack in NA. They make good $$$ on the luxo crap they put into the LCs we get here. Most people in NA buy cruisers more for status than their off-road capabilities.

Now, what I DO notice are a lot more HJ62s and even some diesel 80s now coming in from Japan and elsewhere as people can legally bring them in. This tells me there IS a market for diesels (I for one would like to have another Turbo Diesel Landcruiser) and Im hoping Toyota Canada is conversing Toyota Japan so they start to bring in the product people want. Heck, even in my local Toyota dealership in my small town they are bringing in TONNES of used diesel right hand drive LCs, Prados, and hiluxes because people buy them!!!

Ill be honest, though. I really like the torque of my gas 80. Its good, low end torque great for so many things. But if I had the chance to get a diesel 75, 80, or 100 series, poverty pack that was left hand drive I'd buy it just like most of you (and my wife would enjoy driving it. She actually misses our rusted BJ60). Thing is, is Toyota willing to lose out on the extras they sell with their high end utes, the stuff make their money on?

Cheers...

here in the UK, diesel (96p a litre) is dearer than petrol (89p a litre) I had my 4.5 converted to LPG and that is ( 37p a litre) I just lurve my gas guzzler :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom