Would you Buy New Old Stock? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the opportunity to buy a set of BFG KO2 tires new in the shrink wrap that have a date of manufacture 4615.

Meaning they were made the 46th week of 2015.

They were stored outside under a carport for the last 18 months out of the sun but during all seasons of a NJ year.

Thoughts? Are these safe for my wife's family hauler DD??

Thanks for any help in advance!

l don't see why there would be any issues with them. I would think that the manner in which you state they were stored would be better than them being on a vehicle out in the elements or at least as good as mounted and stored inside. 10 years is a general rule for date code concerns and you are only 2 years in.
I say if you get enough of a good deal on the price of the tires, compared to new ones, go for it.

As reference, I just bought a single BFG KO directly from Michelin last week. It will be my spare. I didn't even check the date code yet. I do know that it's a regular KO and you say yours is a newer KO2 so I imagine my date code is older than that. (maybe not) I paid $100 for a new 33x10.5x15 shipped to my door. That's cheap enough to not worry about date code for me. :)

I had a career in rubber R&D, engineering and manufacturing.

Unlike iron and steel, rubber is organic and it degrades over time. The main negative factors are UV light, heat, oxygen and ozone.

Even with that in mind, I'd buy and use those tires if the price was less than full MSRP.

I believe the tire age issue has been over-lawyered and over-hyped.

I’m replacing 8 year old BFG AT KOs with only 36k miles. The tires have over half tread but are dry rotting.

I’ve always bought BFG ATs. This is just the first set that aged out instead of wore out.

The KO2s are a better tire. I’d snatch them up at a 50% discount in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom