would you bolt a winch to this bar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

serenity

Threads
just wondering if any guru's out there know if this bar looks sturdy enough to take a winch or whether i need to build in some re-enforcing or upgrade to an arb.
it's held on with 12 8.8 grade M12x1.25 bolts, bolted into the original nutserts in the frame. steel seems to be around 4mm thick.

it has the bolt holes and inserts that can be punched out but i have never seen a winch on this type of bar before.

cheers,

Glenn
P1000432.JPG
P1000435.JPG
P1000436.JPG

4mm is a lot. that sounds like about the same as my ARB winch bar. Should be fine metal wise if the thing is shaped or designed properly.

However, not sure what you mean by nutserts. If you mean a true nutsert, as in a rivet with thread, that does not sound strong enough. If you mean the captive nuts welded inside the frame rails that are OEM, those are what are used routinely for winch bars and should be fine.

Last edited:
Bumper appears ok. Id use grade 8 bolts to mount the winch. MIke

e9999 yeah i meant the oem captive nuts in the frame. i measured 4mm at the frame mounts, it may thin out to 3mm for the actual body of the bar.

this is what the whole bar looks like. looks sturdy and feels sturdy. i just wish there was some literature on this thing to give me a definite yes.
P1000229resize.jpg

e9999 yeah i meant the oem captive nuts in the frame. i measured 4mm at the frame mounts, it may thin out to 3mm for the actual body of the bar.

this is what the whole bar looks like. looks sturdy and feels sturdy. i just wish there was some literature on this thing to give me a definite yes.

well, if it's not an ARB it sure looks like one, and if it is, it seems built for a winch -with those cutouts and all- in which case I would not worry.

i'm assuming arb upgraded their bullbar design since this was brought out then, nothing like it on their website. cheers e9999 time to go bolt on a winch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom