Working on 3rd Head Gasket install.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IdahoDoug said:

As for oil interval, a couple years ago I recall posting that my average oil change since new was about 6200 miles from my log. Each and every one with Mobil 1 and Toyota filter.

DougM

Sheesh Doug, I assumed you were a 3K guy, 3.5K tops. I'm sorry but even after analyis that says that my mobil one can go alotlotlot longer, I'm changing religiously between 3 and 3.5K. The longer you run that oil through there the longer it has to first collect and second deposit all the crap you are talking about in your engine.

This is my form of denial of course cause I might have the same deposits, but fwiw, I do not consider 6200 miles good maintenance! Also, other than the techron in tank, what was your service interval and service routine for intake system cleaning? Again, this might simply be some denial but I just cannot make myself believe that MYYYY maintenance routines dont do the trick!!! I'm saying that sarcastically basically because you are depressing the hell out of me here!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Okay now, until you answer and my wife calls, I'm out "Italian Tuning"! :D

it's not unreasonable to think that you will get similar deposits if you use the synth oil at longer intervals than the dino, I would assume...

Heh - I know how you feel. Over the years I probably dropped several hundred or more on high grade stuff like early air filter and sparkplug changes, premium fuel, hyper cooling system maintenance, injector cleaners, etc that should have kept the cylinder environment free of deposits. Kinda odd, I grant ya.

As for the oil changes, this 8 quart system in a low stressed engine is designed for the factory recommended 7500 mile interval and not only is the 6200 babying it, but using top notch synthetic further created a thick cushion of over protection. I also practice oil changes tailored to the conditions of use, meaning my summer towing intervals were shorter ( perhaps 5000) where periods of simple driving were longer. My oil analysis showed that I have near zero wear and that I could extend changes to over 9000 miles with full protection.

I know how you feel. I am surprised, too. The oil is only part of my disappointment though. Looking at those filthy piston tops is the real surprise to me. Desiring clean valves and pistons, I've used both Techron and a couple of other fuel delivered cleaners as PM. No sign whatsoever that it helped.

Whomever noted that the introduction of the crud into the cylinders via the PCV system is right on. That's what's all over the cylinder environment. Makes me want to buy one of those 'evaporator' thingies that routes this crud into a bottle for dumping instead of the cylinders. Based on what I am seeing, they are onto something. The mfrs can't do this because of EPA rules that force them to make our engines reburn it. Or should I say 'try to reburn it'.

JK - the head will be stripped, cleaned, milled, have new valve stem seals installed, have the valve clearances adjusted, and be pressure tested. With the new gasket design it should be good for another 300,000 miles. I'll save money on a hearse when I die by instructing my last ride on earth to be in my 80. They can use the factory tie downs around my pine box to comply with any federal restraint law.

DougM

Cattle - they're about 2500 miles from you here in WA state and the bill should be about $250. I supplied the parts (new stem seals) from CDan.

DougM

Thanks Doug,

The shipping doesn't bother me, guessing if the machine shop is any good does. The work was cheaper than I was expecting too.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom