won't start after replacing alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All of the dash warning lights came on so I replaced the alternator. While it was out, I cleaned the area well with engine cleaner, but don't think I hit anything electrical. Now it won't start. It will crank, but won't turn over. Anything easy I can check?

Have you tried jumping it to make sure it's not the alternator itself? If the alternator isn't working the car will still be able to run with a jump just as long as the battery has power

Have you tried jumping it to make sure it's not the alternator itself? If the alternator isn't working the car will still be able to run with a jump just as long as the battery has power
Yes, I tried to jump it. Even disconnected the new alternator. Still won't start.

I read on this thread (FJ Cruisers) that this symptom may be the ABS fuse which I have removed. I put the ABS fuse back in and that didn't help.

Anything easy I can check?
Have you tried checking to make sure your battery has enough juice left? If your alternator died you might just have a dead/weak battery if you didn't recharge it.

Have you tried checking to make sure your battery has enough juice left? If your alternator died you might just have a dead/weak battery if you didn't recharge it.
I've been charging it by jumping it for 5-10 minutes and it won't turn over. It will for about 1/2 second and then die.

I finally got it started, but it sounds real bad. Idling at 400-500 rpm on a cold start. Never had this problem before.

I removed it one weekend and it took me a week to get around to replacing it. In the mean time, the oil filter was off and we got a ton of rain. The hood was down, but I'm wondering if water got in the oil?

Just a heads up I out in 2 NEW Toyota alternators both didn’t work it happens

I read on other Toyota forums that the computer needs to relearn rpm, etc. settings after a long battery disconnect. I let it idle for 30 minutes and drove it around a little. Seems to be back to normal.

That's what I was thinking as well. The ECM may need some time to relearn. You could also try running the engine without any of the belts attached to isolate the noise.

That storm last week was killer. We lost power for a day from a blown transformer on our block.

Happens to people all the time. The ecu takes some amount of driving and starts to relearn the fuel trim and get the idle squared away. I've had it take 4 or 5 starts and 40 miles and had it only take about 13 miles. There is a part in the manual about this. Something like drive 35mph for a certain distance then 55mph for some distance. Just keep driving it and it will work itself out. In the meantime you wont get any ecu codes either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom