Won't fire, what do you think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is going to be a shot in the dark (and a bad ramble) because it could be so many things, but here goes. I just finished up doing a bunch on the truck...new timing belt/water pump/fan bracket&clutch, starter, alternator, and adding a TRD supercharger, which is basically a glorified manifold swap mechanically.

Finished it tonight and went to start it up and it won't quite fire. It turns over just fine for a few seconds, then kind of surges like it's going to fire, then it lays down and starts cranking again. A couple things to note

1) I'm trying to start it with the air box off (open throttle body), but with the MAF sensor plugged in, because I was going to do an Amsoil Power Foam treatment before changing the plugs out (yes, should have done that before I tore it down!) It should still start like that, no?
2) speaking of power foam, I cleaned the intake runners in the heads with it when the intake was off, and I could definitely see all the smoke from that stuff burning off when I first started cranking it, so I'm getting spark while cranking anyway. I pulled all the plugs and cleaned them, cranked it a while with them out and will leave it open all night in case that was the issue.
3) the pattern of cranking a while then surging like it's trying to fire, before laying down and starting to crank again is super consistent, like on a timer. It reminds me of an old car with a broken ignition switch, like it can't support itself electrically when it's not in the "start" position if you're familiar with old ignition switches. Does that point to anything?

All my experience is with old Ford and Chevy carbureted muscle cars, so troubleshooting cars with fuel injection, ECUs etc is definitely not my strong suit. Assuming this doesn't resolve itself with letting the cylinders dry out overnight, any tips on how I should start diagnosing this mess? Is there an easy way to make sure I'm getting fuel? My gut tells me I'm just missing a connector somewhere, but went over it all tonight and I'm not seeing it. The only possible issue I saw was the ground wire that used to go to the engine lift bracket is still off...does anyone know if it's a basic block to body ground strap, or does it maybe route back to something in the ignition or fuel system? Will obviously find a home for it tomorrow, it as getting dark when I spotted it.

Sorry, that was a terrible, rambling post with a million questions, just tired and hoping to wake up tomorrow to a list of "maybe check this..." ideas 😬

When I bought my 100 the previous owner had the timing belt done and routed a portion of the wiring harness wrong so that the crank angle sensor wire was cut, sometimes it would make contact and run fine, others it would not. When it didn’t, it had a similar surging cranking pattern like you’re describing.

If you have a scan tool I’d check and make sure you’re seeing RPM signal when cranking.

I'd try connecting the ground and getting the MAF in the airstream first just to eliminate the easy stuff.
If that and drying out doesn't help then I'd try pulling the plugs to see if they were fouled in the runner cleaning if you suspect that may have happened.

Connect that ground ASAP. Being disconnected has been the cause of several engine related issues in this forum

Well, I didn't go about it at all scientifically to figure out what the culprit was, but with the plugs cleaned, intake ductwork connected, and that block to frame ground reconnected, it started right up tonight. Thanks for the help everyone 👍

I like to circle back on threads like this on case someone else searches it down the road. I later figured out the issue was in fact having the MAF sensor connected without having the air box hooked up to the throttle body. Seems you can have a bad or disconnected MAF and the engine will run, but a working unit with no airflow over it is no go. I did a Power Foam treatment on it with the throttle body exposed, air box off...with the MAF connected it went back to that same kind of surging pattern where it wouldn't start, but fired up and idled just fine when disconnected. Makes sense I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom