absolute-wits-end.com
Made some updates starting here:

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Website
absolute-wits-end.com

PART ELEVEN: The winch handle cap​

The FINAL piece of the puzzle, the winch handle cap. The winch handle doesn't/can't stay on the winch lock unless the winch cover is not put back into place. But most are going to be rocking the winch cover so that means the winch handle gets removed and gets stored. But this leaves an exposed thread on the winch lock handle. Toyota considered this by supplying a plastic, tethered, threaded cap. This tether is linked to a ring on the winch lock handle.

The problem, it seems, most OEM winches seem to either be missing this piece all together or if they do have one its in rough shape. So I decided to make a new one out of aluminum instead and have it anodized. This started by reverse engineering what Toyota did. We got very close but we did have to take some liberties since I REALLY didn't feel like machining a custom circlip. So instead just used what was available off the shelf. Luckliy at least one of the rings was found as a dead on match and that was just doubled up. Also found was a dead ringer for the OEM chain. Things are looking up especially once the Solidworks was fired up.

Winch-Handle-cap-old.png

93-Winch-Handle-Cover.png

90-Winch-Cap-Design.JPG

91-Winch-Cap-Design.JPG

92-Winch-Handle-Cap-Chain.JPG

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Website
absolute-wits-end.com
The 3D printing step was skipped altogether since this piece was pretty direct so instead a milled piece was cut from 6061 aluminum. It doesn't have the identical knurl but I was ok with that. I wanted something a little more unique. So now comparing the OEM vs the Wits' End version. I think it came out absolutely awesome!

Winch-Handle-Cap-raw.png

130-AWinch-cap-new-vs-old.png

130-Winch-handle-cap.jpeg

131-winch-handle-cap.jpeg

133-winch-cap.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom