Wits' End- Heated Wiper Blades Install

NLXTACY

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Website
absolute-wits-end.com
I really had no real interest in doing these on my own truck but I had a customer that ordered a set to be installed. I didn't know what was involved or rather it was even worth it. I ordered up a set for myself so that the install could be figured out and to give a better estimate on install time. Beginning-to-end it ran about 15hrs but a chunk of that was trying to make the install as clean as possible since I was experimenting on the turbo truck first.

During the install we quickly figured out that we used nothing from the install kit EXCEPT for their proprietary connectors. If I can get my hands on just those then definitely no need for the install kit, its kinda lame. The wipers on the other hand are pretty darn nice. The heated wire is silicone encased and gets PLENTY hot.

All of the blade install was trivial, just like changing blades. No biggie. But from there things get interesting because it has to NOT look like an accessory. The hiring was hidden under the wiper arm and then down the cowl then forward to the front of the truck where the SwitchPro brain is mounted. That connection was no big deal. The ashtray controller just treats it as another button. The benefit is setting it up as a timed switch.

While the cowl is off its the perfect time to change out your wiper arms but I did that last year. Its also the perfect time to change out the hood rubber, but I also did that last year. But there were the Air Heater Covers that I didn't bother with last year but this go around I went ahead and not only changed them on the truck but added them to the site. The other thing I did is change out the wiper arm mounting hardware to stainless sem hardware since all of mine were surface rusting.

I think for the next install it should take about ten hours the way shown here. You can cut that time by 2/3 if you don't care how it looks :flipoff2:

IMG 7265

IMG 7266

IMG 7267

IMG 7269

IMG 7270

LINUS

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Wow, I never even knew there was such a thing!

Up here we either :
A) Defrost your rig / let it run
B) Flip your wiper arms up nites you know it’s going to freeze hard or dump >3” snow.

Interesting - I just ran silicone blades & the orange Rain-X & kept a can of de-icer in the cab/door pocket in Tundra or underseat in the 80.

Did I miss the $$$ / is this a cheaper or more long-lasting brand?

NLXTACY

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Website
absolute-wits-end.com
Wow, I never even knew there was such a thing!

Up here we either :
A) Defrost your rig / let it run
B) Flip your wiper arms up nites you know it’s going to freeze hard or dump >3” snow.

Interesting - I just ran silicone blades & the orange Rain-X & kept a can of de-icer in the cab/door pocket in Tundra or underseat in the 80.

Did I miss the $$$ / is this a cheaper or more long-lasting brand?
I have a can of de-Icer as well as a scraper. The whole thing was $150 but I thru out nearly all of the install kit. So meh.

LINUS

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
I have a can of de-Icer as well as a scraper. The whole thing was $150 but I thru out nearly all of the install kit. So meh.

Seem like a durable-built kit, or something you cut loose & trash after 2-3 Winters?

$150 is palatable if it’s a ~5yr+ kit if well executed.

I get you - Devil in the details of install as much of the year wipers are moving & flexing the wires of that kit here in WA.

NLXTACY

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Website
absolute-wits-end.com
Seem like a durable-built kit, or something you cut loose & trash after 2-3 Winters?

$150 is palatable if it’s a ~5yr+ kit if well executed.

I get you - Devil in the details of install as much of the year wipers are moving & flexing the wires of that kit here in WA.
Well the plan is to remove them as soon as winter ends and just switch em out for OEM til I need them again