Wiring woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help identifying a rogue set of wires. They were plugged into the brake lever switch up under the dash, but when I tracked where the wires actually went, one goes to the "out" side of the fuse box, and the other 3 trace all the way around the battery under the hood.

The only thing I can think for wire that long on that side of the engine bay is the reverse and front drive indicators, but the colors are all wrong. The whole thing is so hacked up, it's the main bit of wiring that inspires me to quit for the day and have a beer...

image-3772897917.jpg

image-2063653284.jpg

image-2217354552.jpg
image-3772897917.jpg
image-2063653284.jpg
image-2217354552.jpg

I feel your pain. Question...are you POSITIVE they run all the way to the battery and haven't been spliced into a different color somewhere?

I know I have had the same issue where I will trace a wire by color past a junction, only to find it spliced into a completely random other color midway, and even a third splice/color after that.

I'm positive. Traced them all the way there. So it seems that I'm missing the wiring for the stop lights, and I have this mysterious connection that seems to not belong anywhere.

ok. what was the connector plugged into exactly and exactly what color are the wires in the bundle? the black w/yellow stripe is ignition on- same color for fused and unfused. the factory splices are usually pretty good and you should be able to determine those from a hack solder job. you say the wires went to the battery tray, what were they hooked to?

Ok, did some more tracing and actually pulled the offending bundle out of the harness. On one end of the wiring, the plastic plug was connected to a switch on the brake pedal. The brake switch wires are green/white red/white. The unknown wire however has black/yellow, blue/yellow, red, and black. The black dead ends. The red splices into a red that went to the fuse box, and a red/blue that goes the full length of the group into the battery tray area along with the blue/yellow into a plastic 4 wire plug. The black/yellow goes there too, but is not in the plug, just loose. There is a red wire spliced into the BY wire that also goes no where.

On the battery tray end of the wires is another 4 wire plastic plug, with a red, 2 red/blue, and one blue/yellow. The red is cut and goes no where. That just leaves an unaccounted for R/Blue and that traces to the rear of the car for the backup lights.

So, I think the red/blue wires are meant to go down to the transmission for the reverse gear lights, but that leaves a whole pigs ear full of cut up wires that dont seem to have any purpose...

image-2627806135.jpg

image-1083685511.jpg

image-2568050247.jpg
image-2627806135.jpg
image-1083685511.jpg
image-2568050247.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom