1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring Harness Repair ???

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruiser804, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Cruiser804

Cruiser804 SILVER Star

Albums:
    I am in the process of replacing the plug/connector on the front actuator. Wondering, the tape that holds the flexible plastic sheath on the harness doesn't appear to be standard a electrical tape, and I assume it isn't. Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for to replace this? What is this stuff? I have seen "weatherproof" electrical tape, same stuff?

Thanks

2. RescueU

RescueU

Well it's been a year since you posted this question and surprisingly no one replied.

I just happened to be searching for info on the repair splices (the little metal pins that you attach the wires to and then push into the molex connectors). Trust me when I say that it's a really good idea to have a handful of them in your "extras" tool box section. :whoops: :bang:

The short answer is, I really don't think it'll matter if you strip away the OEM tape and replace it with electrical or some other kind of vinyl tape. There's self-sealing tape that's wider than the standard roll of electrical tape. I've seen those at Home Depot and Advance Auto Parts (NAPA-type chain).

When I tore into mine recently, I saw that some areas of the OEM tape had dried and cracked, so it may be safe to say that it doesn't seem to be impervious to being compromised over time.

I hope this helps you, or someone else down the line.

Cheers.:beer: