Wire harness advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought my first 80 (locked) about 5-6 weeks ago:clap: (1994) and have a few posts re: it......I have not added pics yet or put it in the mud registery yet.....eventually the camera will work.....

I have an intermittent miss in the engine. I have R&R the plugs wires, cap, and rotor, and replaced the intake plenum...all OEM.....thanks CDan....... I was throwing a code 71. Bypassed the EGR as per the info here on mud. ( my suspision is that a wire or 2 is cooked by the EGR) I have done a search on how to explore/replace the wire harness by the hot EGR tube, but have not found any info regarding how to access it.......the EGR is in the way, so I guess I just remove it.......no problem.........BUT my big concern is as soon as I start unwrapping the engine wire harness and check for brittle wires, I am thinking I will take the chance if cracking more insulation....... trouble x2.....

ANY TIPS ON THIS ISSUE ????

My insulation was pretty much cooked. IMHO dive in and check it. IH8MUD.com - View Single Post - Was stuck on trail, now trouble shooting help Thats what mine looked like after I started inspecting it.

Wow.

How has your repair held up so far ?? I noticed this was posted over 2 years ago......hope it is still working for you.

I know I need to dive into it......just want to see how deep the water is first....

Did you have to remove the EGR to get adequate access to enough of the harness ??

Thanks for the reply.

informationjunky, I took the insulation off like you did and fortuantely all looked OK.
So now I just need to wrap it back up w/ some good insulation...:lol:

Found the source of the misfire......25-30 deg. of timing advance by the PO :hillbilly:

Just can't figure out why it came and then went away for a week and then came back again when I put the OEM plugs in......I promise I did not touch the dist. until today.........I have been on a wild goose chase over this issue...... I should have checked the timing first.....why didn't I think of that......??????:bang:

Thanks again for the reply

My insulation kind of crumbled off...well at least you wont have to worry about your wires melting together....

My insulation kind of crumbled off...well at least you wont have to worry about your wires melting together....

Mine was pretty intact........a little crispy on the outside in a few spots, but like you said, at least I do not have to worry about my wire harness......At least I hope...... I wonder if messing with those wires is why my AC comp. will not engage. ??
It was working well last time I tried it....about 10 days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom