Windshield side trim - adhesive or no? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
The rubber trim that comes down from the roofrack along the side of my windshield has come loose. It was re-used a few months ago when I bought the truck and had the windshield replaced. A Toyota mechanic told me it is supposed to have adhesive, but I see no trace from the factory or the replacement job, so I'm skeptical about that. It looks to me like it has a hook-shape to the channel. I bashed it in with my hands (no hammer near my new windshield), and it looks right and held for the highway drive home. I'll throw a roll of duct tape in the back in case it comes apart again, but what's the proper solution?

'03 4Runner.

Dunno, but my '07 has the same problem as you describe. I had the windshield replaced two years ago, and the 'tech pointed it out. Doesn't look like there's any adhesive under mine.

I found it in a repair manual I downloaded, looks like no adhesive, it just hooks in. I'll tap it down better with a rubber mallet I guess.

Is yours loose? I might have lost the whole piece up the roof if I hadn't noticed it loosening and quickly grabbed it. I'm going to be nervous about this driving three hours on the highway to my job. I might not even notice it in the dark.

There is definitely none from the factory.

Take it off and use a poly type adhesive to secure it once you're home. I had mine off a time or two, never had any issues with it coming off without adhesive, but the last time I assembled it I used a "Goop" type trim adhesive/sealant just to be safe.

If you were to lose it, that's probably a $200 part from the stealer.

To get it further into the crevice that it sits, use a thin shim or piece of wood (smooth and rounded) so to avoid scarring the rubber.

I pounded it in there by hand, seems to be holding well. I'll mash on it again with a rubberhammer before driving to O'Hare in the morning. Hate to glue it in, could get expensive replacing the whole rail next time I need a windshield.

Thats the thing with a poly type adhesive. It sticks but isn't stuck, if you get my drift.

Additionally, I wouldn't use adhesive on the entire run, just in three spots; base center and top.

Yeah, caulk would hold about right. I drove it an hour on the highway, will get in it tomorrow night and drive home, seems to be holding even though I didn't pound it in after the first try. Maybe they just didn't do it when they replaced the windshield a few months ago.

I forgot about this, it hasn't come out since I gave it a good pounding in with my hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom