Windshield Leak Repair - Atlanta Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies if this is against the rules since I also posted this in the 80-Series Tech forum.

Does anyone have a good resource or recommendation to fix my 94 Cruiser's windshield leak? There have been numerous unsuccessful attempts at solving this (more details in the background). The leak is coming from the driver/passenger bottom corners.

Based on some research here, the leak can be tricky to solve if it's not done exactly to Toyota's install instructions. Worst case is that the entire windshield will have to be replaced along with a new gasket (3rd replacement), unless it's reusable. I'm pretty fed up at the moment, to say the least, but hoping this can get solved without spending another couple hundred let alone a thousand+ for an OEM windshield. So turning to the experts here, do you have any recommendations on who could possibly help get this resolved around Atlanta?

This would be much appreciated!

Background:
I had the windshield replaced a few weeks back since the original windshield was leaky and had some pretty bad cracks. This was replaced with a new aftermarket Fuyao windshield using an OEM gasket, but unfortunately it started leaking again so I left it to get it redone. After reworking it, I took the Cruiser home but since it's been incredibly rainy in Georgia lately, the repair did not hold up. While I should've taken it back to get redone again, the 80 mile round trip from the heart of Atlanta with traffic made it incredibly difficult and inconvenient so I opted to take it to ACC instead to see if there was a solution.

At ACC, they replaced the gasket with another Toyota OEM. However, it continued to leak when they tested it out despite meticulously cleaning out the windshield frame (their attention to detail is great, btw). One thing they noted is that there's a possibility that the Fuyao glass won't play nice with the OEM gasket as it might not be cut to exact spec. They then recommended I call Safelite since their warranty covers leaks.

I call Safelite and set up an appointment. They then call me back telling me that since the leak is a "pre-existing" condition, the warranty will not cover it. So I canceled to save myself the potential headache if something goes wrong. I also called around other shops and even the dealership, but all of them provided a different 3rd party service or wouldn't work on my rig due to its age. The other issue is that nobody is sure if their recommended windshield service knows how to work on Cruisers.

I had my windshield replaced on my 100 by the toyota mall of georgia collision center. The have a full time glass guy and hes been with Toyota for a long time, I talked to him briefly about mine (100s are notoriously done incorrectly) and as soon as I started to mention "they are installed incorrectly all the time" he stopped me and told me he was going to be using the oem rivets, etc and sees bad install jobs all the time. He did the windshield and it was installed correctly, might be worth a shot to give them a call.

If you are still working on this, Lightning Auto Glass in Chamblee is who I used on my 100 and 80. They know these trucks pretty well and stopped all leaks. Check them out

If you are still working on this, Lightning Auto Glass in Chamblee is who I used on my 100 and 80. They know these trucks pretty well and stopped all leaks. Check them out
Meant to follow up but I ended up taking it to Lightning and the problem has been solved. They did a great job so definitely recommend them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom