window off track, pull the glass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruxarche

SILVER Star
Threads
My rear window on my 93 has come off the tracks. The roller extends past the end of the track at mid-run due to the channel holding the glass having shifted about a half inch or so. see pic.

The FSM does not refer to adjusting this, only to replacing the glass. It does provide a spec for how far the channel should be from the leading edge of the glass.

Do i need to pull the glass out of the door to adjust this? Or is there a super sneaky MUD method to handling this...?

Thanks.

window track.jpeg

I had that happen to one of my rear windows.... The window popped out of the ''holder'' when someone was letting the window down When I was reinstalling it I had to reposition it a few times until the window could roll completely down without the wheel rolling out of the end. Took a few tries to get it just right.

I will also add that getting the window back into the holder with the rubber was pretty damn hard!

Hope that made sense.

I had this happen to me at a gas station & thanks to having read previous threads I was able to fix it in minutes. You should be able to just shift the glass in the holder. I would wear gloves & hold the regulator arms while pushing the glass back in place. Make sure the rollers go back in their track. Use some white lithium grease on the rollers. Temporarily reconnect the window switch & make sure the window goes up & down smoothly & that the rollers stay in the track & you should be good to go.

My rear window on my 93 has come off the tracks. The roller extends past the end of the track at mid-run due to the channel holding the glass having shifted about a half inch or so. see pic.

The FSM does not refer to adjusting this, only to replacing the glass. It does provide a spec for how far the channel should be from the leading edge of the glass.

Do i need to pull the glass out of the door to adjust this? Or is there a super sneaky MUD method to handling this...?

Thanks.

[URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=788663&stc=1&d=1375652025"][URL="https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=788663&stc=1&d=1375652025"] [/URL][/URL]

You will need to replace the rubber piece, no need to replace the window.

Do not pull the glass out....it's a bitch if not impossible to get it back in the rubber and rail. The previous owner of my truck somehow got the window (rear passenger) out of the track and just jammed the window closed with a spacer on the rail and unhooked the switch.
I tried for hours to get the damned thing back in to no avail. So, I cut the rubber lengthwise down the middle so that half the glass was protected and then took some other thinner rubber and using a thin scraper blade I jammed it down along the unprotected side. Worked a charm for a jimmy fix.

I'm having problems with my rear passenger window as well. Got it back on track....but now I can't get the motor bolted back to the door.

Be careful pulling on the glass, a little too much pressure and you will be left holding a big chunk of glass while the rest has exploded all over.

I speak from experience with another vehicle I had.

Sounds like I need to find a way to reposition the glass in the channel. And it seems like it can be done in place--as in I do not need to take the window out of the door. I wonder if there is some way to lubricate it with a penetrating rubber lubricant (if such thing exists). I am nervous about applying too much pressure and it is in there tight.

For all of you who repositioned it in place, any tricks besides what is posted above (wear gloves, not too much pressure, etc.)

Thanks.

I would not lubricate the rubber as it will make it easier to slide out of place in the future. I have fixed 2 windows just by pushing the glass back in place in the channel. Wearing mechanics gloves, hold the channel where the horizontal & vertical piece meet. Work slowly & make sure that the roller goes back in the track. You should be able to see where it was lined up originally. If you decide to try lubricant, use something that drys afterward. Maybe WD 40? We used to use gasoline to put new hand grips on motorcycles, a little goes a long way. Might check a cycle shop to see if there is anything they use.

Good luck!

I have had one of the rear windows pop loose many times because one of my kids lowers the window to that just right position. After getting tired of repositioning the window in its mount and not knowing that the rubber was replaceable, I just used a silicon gasket goo to hold it in position. It has worked for the past 4 years.

Thanks for all these replies! I am going to try the soapy water to get it moving and the silicone to hold it in place once I get it there.

I have had that exact same thing happen on my 93. Here is what to do:
1. Take off the door card and reattach the switch. Position the window so that that you can get the roller back started in the track (about 1/2 way down).
2. Find a piece of wood that about an inch around or so. Place it behind (to the left) of the vertical piece that comes down from the channel.
3. Gently use a hammer to tap on the wood piece while you hold it with your other hand. This will slowly move the track to the right until the roller is fully inside the track.
4. Once the roller is fully captured in the track, use some pliers to crimp the end of the track so it cant come out again.

This is what I did and it was easy and still works with no problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom