Winch Oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone please tell me what kind of oil is used in the factory winch of an HDJ81? I've searched the forums but I couldn't find anything. It is the 8000lbs model if that helps any. Also the stuff that poured out was Red in color.

Gord

Presuming this is a OEM electric winch, not the PTO version, the FSM states -

Auto transmission fluid

ATF type F
0.9L (0.95 us qts, 0.79 imp.qts)

I pulled the plug and it looks like more than 0.9L of fluid came out. I found the tag on the winch and it is a Denso 101800-0231 or the Toyota number is 38600-60050. I couldn't find any info on these numbers online can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Gord

38600-60050 on the EPC brings up 'Motor Assy W/Magnet Switch, Winch' for the OEM electric winch fitted to all models of the 80 series.

As for the synthetic, i cant see it being a problem, but maybe someone else will chime in who knows for sure :hmm:

Sorry Snail, you were right all along. I poured the old fluid into a jug and it was 900ml. Now to get me some good Synthetic Type F AFT fluid! Good thing I'm a preferred Amsoil customer! I got the winch all cleaned up with new paint and ready to get put back together! I should have taken pictures as I did this little jobber but now the free lock and lock moves freely from one to the other where before I had to use the remote to spool out the winch.

Oh and if anyone needs to replace the female plug for the Toyota Factory remote I was able to get an Anphenol 97 series plug and it fits beautifully to the remote control however you will have to buy a new housing which is dirt cheap. Part number for the female plug is 97-14s-6s then just ask the parts person to get the guts for it too. I will post a pic of the 2 units side by side for tommorow.

Gord

My first rebuild project is the same winch. Opened the drain plug gear side and got only a cup of oily water out-bad sign. The gears were in ok shape with a bit of rust on some. Cleaned up ok -wire brush, emery cloth and lots of varsol. Will need a new gasket and o ring set.

Got it mostly apart, but can't get the cable drum separated from the gear housing. Is there a trick to it?

I have no idea how that gear box comes away from the drum. Instead of the paper gasket I just used RTV gasket maker and ran a nice small bead around the cap, I only put it on about finger tight then let the RTV set for one hour then tightened all the bolts. I picked up some amsoil super shift the other day which is rated for TYPE F transmissions.

Well considering that the winch just a motor and some gears, I would use gear oil. 95W100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom