Winch motor swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Couldn't resist picking up another winch, I think it's a m8000? One of the solenoids in the control box was broken, so I replaced it with a 450A temco contactor and it works great. For $80 I can't complain.

So I'm thinking of swapping it with the old motor on my 8274. I know some people have upgraded motors on 8274, I'm just don't know whether this is the same motor that everyone is using. Would I need to buy new pinion gears? Any other surprises in store for me before tearing everything apart?

The reason for swapping is because I don't have a use yet for this winch, so the motor would be more useful on a winch that's already mounted on my 40 than it would be sitting in my garage.

IMG_1697.JPG

So I'm thinking of swapping it with the old motor on my 8274. I know some people have upgraded motors on 8274, I'm just don't know whether this is the same motor that everyone is using. Would I need to buy new pinion gears?

No, the most common upgrade motor for the 8274 is the one from the Warn 9.5XP winch. It's a direct bolt-in replacement for later 8274's with a splined pinion gear, and only needs a new splined pinion gear for early ones with keyed pinion. It's also more than twice the horsepower of the original.

I have an M8000 on another truck, and while I've never held it side by side to my 8274, I think the M8000 motor has a smaller diameter than the 8274; if so, it wouldn't bolt-up to the 8274 upper housing. I would also be wary of the output shaft being a smaller diameter too, but I've never had my M8000 apart so I don't know that for sure either. Since your M8000 is laying on the ground, it wouldn't take much to remove the motor and compare it with your 8274 motor and see for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. This was just a random thought I had, but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom