Winch + bumper on stock springs - how bad is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How bad is ~170 pounds of extra weight on the front end with icon coilovers using stock weight springs?

I have Saturday and Sunday to install my Lil B’s bumper and winch. Shops won’t be open on the weekend to swap springs on my coilovers, and I’m not comfortable using the cheapo spring compressor to DIY.

Will this thing drive like ass with that much weight up front? Should I just leave it on jack stands until I can get the new springs swapped on the coilovers next week?

You're going to lose at least 2 inches of ground clearance in the front so going offroad is a bad idea. I speak from experience after going full skids on stock springs. I ended up bending the crap out of them on the first trip hitting literally everything since I had no clearance compared to stock skids. Driving wise it will roll a lot more but be fine and I wouldn't worry about it on the road one bit.

Good to know. Thank you!

No off-roading for a few weeks. Wanted to be able to drive it until I can get the springs swapped out. Glad to know it should be fine for running around locally - gym, groceries, some errands - for a week or so.

Good to know. Thank you!

No off-roading for a few weeks. Wanted to be able to drive it until I can get the springs swapped out. Glad to know it should be fine for running around locally - gym, groceries, some errands - for a week or so.
You'll be fine for daily driving on the road. The only thing I'd watch out for is if your daily driving involves driving over speed tables or anything else that's kind of whoop-like. The extra weight can bring the nose down pretty hard onto the bumpstops if you try to hit those at speed.

How bad is ~170 pounds of extra weight on the front end with icon coilovers using stock weight springs?

I have Saturday and Sunday to install my Lil B’s bumper and winch. Shops won’t be open on the weekend to swap springs on my coilovers, and I’m not comfortable using the cheapo spring compressor to DIY.

Will this thing drive like ass with that much weight up front? Should I just leave it on jack stands until I can get the new springs swapped on the coilovers next week?
Another course of action to consider....I recently put in heavy Dobs up front to counter my bumper/winch heft. Installed the top hats, loosened the LCA's and with just a little effort, jacked up the LCA while guiding the shock shaft through the top hat and secured. Plenty of chassis weight to compress the spring until you can start the shock nut.
Cheers!

Another course of action to consider....I recently put in heavy Dobs up front to counter my bumper/winch heft. Installed the top hats, loosened the LCA's and with just a little effort, jacked up the LCA while guiding the shock shaft through the top hat and secured. Plenty of chassis weight to compress the spring until you can start the shock nut.
Cheers!
I’m incredibly afraid of removing the springs from the coilovers by myself. Just way too much force contained in those compressed springs for me to feel comfortable DIYing it.

Debating between paying a shop to swap them for me and upgrading to an adjustable icon set with remote reservoirs (like these).

My current set is fine, but they’ve got about 25K miles on them over 3 years.

I’m incredibly afraid of removing the springs from the coilovers by myself. Just way too much force contained in those compressed springs for me to feel comfortable DIYing it.

Debating between paying a shop to swap them for me and upgrading to an adjustable icon set with remote reservoirs (like these).

My current set is fine, but they’ve got about 25K miles on them over 3 years.

The stock springs have almost no preload compared to what you need to put in for the added weight. I used a set of s***ty horrible freight spring compressors and those were starting to bend right as I got the top hat nut on. Taking the stock springs off shouldn't scare you but putting the new ones on terrified me

The stock springs have almost no preload compared to what you need to put in for the added weight. I used a set of s***ty horrible freight spring compressors and those were starting to bend right as I got the top hat nut on. Taking the stock springs off shouldn't scare you but putting the new ones on terrified me
Neither sounds fun to me, lol. I just don’t want to mess around compressing springs without a proper wall-mounted spring compressor.

Neither sounds fun to me, lol. I just don’t want to mess around compressing springs without a proper wall-mounted spring compressor.
I'm gonna take one more run at this in case another reader wants to try and I'll leave it alone.

I 100% understand your judgement on this.

Disclaimer! Tackle at your own risk. It is surely safer to do at a shop.

I have assembled and disassembled my coilovers multiple times. I've replaced stock shocks w/5100's and stock springs with the very same HF compressors that @captainva is talking about (they were bending on me, pucker factor was high),.

When I recently replaced stock springs with high rate HD Dobs with 5100's on 2nd perch, I couldn't get the HF compressor out of the coil once assembled (pucker factor VERY HIGH). Looked for an open shop on Sunday with no luck. I'm an impatient fool, so went back to the truck and stared at it for a minute. Installed the shock on the lower control arm and slid the spring over and oriented the spring end, installed the top hat, loosened the LCA's (with the lower ball joint disconnected from the knuckle and the swaybar link disconnected) and pried the LCA down low enough to get the spring seated in the top hat. I then slowly jacked the ball joint end of the LCA easily compressing the spring against the weight of the chassis while keeping the shock shaft lined up with the top hat center hole. It was easy and stress free.

My daughter was amazed!

The top hat and the lower shock mount act as a cage in a way. I even managed to forget the bushing and washer on the first side after finishing assembly and had to disassemble AND reassemble the DS coilover while on the truck letting the spring tension off by releasing floor jack pressue slowly.

Did I mention I'm impatient?

I know I'm a stranger, but if I only did a video of this process, you'd start to grin...

Anyway, I'm a fan of your and @captainva's thoughtful posts and your rigs and look forward to hearing how you like your new front end regardless of how you approach it.

Spring compressors are really NBD to use. Not sure I'd trust a Harbor Freight compressor, though. I have a set of OEM compressors I purchased from Autozone around a decade ago for $35 ($55 now). They've done great on multiple vehicles and also hold up just fine when using an impact to tighten them. They also have pins to keep the spring from slipping out. Just go slow and do a few turns per side, or, as others have suggested, use the on-the-truck method.

FYI I do have a bench vice and typically secure the strut in the vice when assembling the struts. When disassembling I use the more dangerous method of laying the strut on the shop floor and zipping off the top hat nut with an impact. It usually shoots the strut 5+ feet. Standing off to the side, of course.

If I had a workspace where I could have a bench vise mounted, I’d definitely consider swapping the springs myself with a compressor like the one you linked. Some of the shows I watch on motor trend used that exact setup to swap the springs, and it seemed fine.

It’s inconvenient, but I don’t mind paying a shop to knock this out for me.

I do appreciate all the advice and options shared in the thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom