Will this Frankenstein key work // Hack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made a mistake. I ordered the wrong master key replacements off eBay (ordered 03+, needed 98-02). I paid $40 for two keys. I did not realize my mistake until after I took them to a local locksmith and got them cut ($55/key; tried Ace and the dealership but neither would cut unless it was their keys). It was when I couldn't get the key programming to work that I doubled checked my order and noticed the mistake. At this point I'm in $150. I also got a YotaMD key fob that I hope to place a working key into at some point.

I was able to program the fob and the lock/unlock. So I'm wondering if I could buy a less expensive valet key and swap that chip on master board (see photo).

Any takes on whether that would work or suggestions on how to salvage this mistake?

IMG_2368 (2).JPG

I made a mistake. I ordered the wrong master key replacements off eBay (ordered 03+, needed 98-02). I paid $40 for two keys. I did not realize my mistake until after I took them to a local locksmith and got them cut ($55/key; tried Ace and the dealership but neither would cut unless it was their keys). It was when I couldn't get the key programming to work that I doubled checked my order and noticed the mistake. At this point I'm in $150. I also got a YotaMD key fob that I hope to place a working key into at some point.

I was able to program the fob and the lock/unlock. So I'm wondering if I could buy a less expensive valet key and swap that chip on master board (see photo).

Any takes on whether that would work or suggestions on how to salvage this mistake?

View attachment 2563448

I will check today. I should have a couple of 4c keytags in my toolbox.

The keytag is usually in its own compartment in the shell and will look like this:
MVIMG_20201229_112004.jpg

So I'm wondering if I could buy a less expensive valet key and swap that chip on master board (see photo).

highly doubtful as the chip in the valet key is cast into the the rubber key part, you would have to try to cut the key apart to get at the chip. also if you dont have a makster key to program with you wont be able to program the valet or any other keys as a fyi

Thanks. If that's the case it probably wouldn't work. I wouldn't be able to mass those components together into the fob.

There should be a pocket in the plastic case your remote is in. The immobilizer chip isn't on the board.

highly doubtful as the chip in the valet key is cast into the the rubber key part, you would have to try to cut the key apart to get at the chip. also if you dont have a makster key to program with you wont be able to program the valet or any other keys as a fyi

I do have a valid master key, but yeah, might not work.

if you can get the chip out you have nothing to lose other than the cost of the key and your time, whatever you value that at. the keys that you bought arnt totally worthless, you can use them as a hide-a-key incase you lock your keys in the truck or you want to lock yourself out and just keep a key to unlock the truck on you.

if you can get the chip out undamaged i may work but i think that the problem would be getting the chip out

I paid $30 to a guy on eBay for the correct OEM key and he cut it for me. You can get your key code from any dealer parts counter by giving them your VIN.

Thanks! Yes, I see it now. So this might be an easier fix than I was thinking. Do you have the any 4c's available?

Or, if I get a the correct valet key, it will come with the 4c key tag? I might need to do this anyway as the key doesn't work in the door as well.

if you can get the chip out you have nothing to lose other than the cost of the key and your time, whatever you value that at. the keys that you bought arnt totally worthless, you can use them as a hide-a-key incase you lock your keys in the truck or you want to lock yourself out and just keep a key to unlock the truck on you.

if you can get the chip out undamaged i may work but i think that the problem would be getting the chip out

For sure on using as a hide-a-key at the very least!

I paid $30 to a guy on eBay for the correct OEM key and he cut it for me. You can get your key code from any dealer parts counter by giving them your VIN.

Dang, this seems like the way to go for sure!

Dang, this seems like the way to go for sure!

I may have gotten a bit over-excited and bought 3 more after the first one turned out good! I referred a friend to it later and his turned out great as well. OEM Denso keys, with the “guts” included! Been going strong for almost two years now, just did the first battery change last month.

Found 4c tags (transponder chips) for sale for $3.50 each.

Found 4c tags (transponder chips) for sale for $3.50 each.

Those are correct. A lot of those places won't sell to anyone but locksmiths.

I have a couple I will send you. Send me a message with your address and I'll get them out tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom