Wichita area mechanic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I know there is sticky for this on the mud page, but I figured I would come to some semi-locals for this one.

Can anyone recommend a good cruiser mechanic in Wichita or the immediate area? I refuse to take my rig to the stealership unless it is my only or absolute last option.

Thanks

JT

Thanks for the replys.

I have an 88 FJ62, and I have a tap - sounds like it is from deep in the bowels of the engine, maybe in the block. I am going to try a couple of things this weekend - but I think it is a bit farther down in the engine than what a valve adjustment - or anything else I can do - will take care of. We will see.

Dont get me wrong about the dealer (stelaership), I know the mechanics there will do exactly what needs to be done, but at Toyota's premium prices. I am cheap like that some times!

I wouldn't take a dad-gum thing to the dealership in Wichita!!!!

IBCRUSN just had some machine work done..... not sure which shop did it.

I'd recommed Expert Auto on 13th N & St.Paul to diagnose it. Ask for Tim or Maroun (like the color). I've had real good luck with them.

Don Pennington would be one to contact too. PM me and I can give ya his number

Thanks for the reply.
Is that the old Amaco/BP station?

I used D.A. Clem for the machine work on my head and it turned out good and priced fair.

The shop that tried for my starting issue was European Auto on 2nd a little west of Washington. David and his brother (name escapes me) are good people, their main demographic is BMW, Benz, Alpha's and any other European classic or racer. Even though my 80 made the shop look like trash they were pretty amazed at the 1FZ. I would say if you have any way of confirming the noise is internal stay away from these guys. They do super clean/nice work but you pay for their attention to detail.

Holler at Don P. he's purty dern good with them older motors and a wealth of info on the 40 and 60 series. (lame attempt at Don speak)

If ya think its a rod bearin knockin ya kin pull the plug wares of one at a time with da engine idlin. The knock 'll either stop er git werse. But truth be known theys jus kinda noisy ol engines anyway.
C Ya, Don

If ya think its a rod bearin knockin ya kin pull the plug wares of one at a time with da engine idlin. The knock 'll either stop er git werse. But truth be known theys jus kinda noisy ol engines anyway.
C Ya, Don

So, if it gets worse or quits it's a rod bearing, eh? Right then. I will give it a try. Thanks!

Also going to do the valve adjustment on it this weekend - my first one - wish me and my thumbs (all 10 of them) luck!

Thanks again
JT

I think I found the culprit (s). The intake manifold bolts were finger tight, and barely that. Tightening those, running it in and retightening seemed to eleviate almost all the evil knock... cleaned up my throttle body and intake and did a tune-up, got 15 mpg on my last 1/2 tank! Never thought I would be so excited about 15 mpg....

Thanks for the replies guys!

So am I - Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom