Why is my 08 4Runner rear suspension cushier after spacer install? long read. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 08 4Runner Sport Edition V8 and I yanked out the XREAS system since the truck has 487,000 miles on it. I replaced the rear suspension with an 09 4Runner stock coils and shocks (that truck had 50,000 mi on the suspension).

I drove it like that for a few months and the rear would bottom out easily when unloaded or loaded. Any simple offroad dirt rut or bump would slam and bottom out the suspension. A friend of mine was asking why I was going so slow (that's normally not me in my FJ62).

So I was about ready to upgrade the rear coils and shocks when a friend gave me a pair of 2" rear coil spacers. I installed them and the difference is huge. Hitting bumps or ruts doesn't bottom out the suspension and the ride is just slightly stiffer.

So why were the stock 09 coils bottoming out so easily?

I am assuming the coil spacer lift has moved me away from the bump stops completely? Is this ok for a year until I can upgrade to a proper suspension lift or am I hurting the rear in any way?

Brake lines aren't a problem at the moment as the shocks are currently limiting the down travel.

Sounds as if the coils are just worn, they are 11 years old now so it makes sense. And yes, moving the axle further away from the bumpstops == less chance of bottoming out. As long as brake lines etc are fine now, you're good to go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom