Who's Towed A Good Sized Boat with Their FJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering getting a 24 to 26 foot boat, with a total weight with trailer close to the 5000 pound towing limit. Trailer would have dual axles, and disk surge brakes on all four wheels. I knew some people have their own rules of thumb about wheelbase or vehicle to trailer weight, but I was wondering if anyone actually has some boat trailering experiience they can tell me about.

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited:
I have a boat that weighs about 4800# with gear and gas. Tandem axle with disc brakes. I pull it with my HD2500 Duramax, but I decided to do a test with the FJC. I towed it around town and on the highway a little. The 4.0L takes a while to get it rolling and you can definitely tell it's back there. Around town it was OK, but on the highway it was all over the road. Kind of like the tail wagging the dog. In terms of stopping it, the FJC struggled to stop the boat even with the trailer brakes helping. IMO, I wouldn't buy the FJC to be my primary tow vehicle to tow anymore then about 3000# - 3500# max and feel safe. That's just my opinion. I'll stick to pulling the boat with my truck.

One other note. I have the OME 896 heavy springs in the rear and they handled the tongue weight of the boat great. I think you'll have a ton of rear end sag with the stock Toyota springs.

I am considering getting a 24 to 26 foot boat, with a total weight with trailer close to the 5000 pound towing limit. Trailer would have dual axles, and disk surge brakes on all four wheels. I knew some people have their own rules of thumb about wheelbase or vehicle to trailer weight, but I was wondering if anyone actually has some boat trailering experiience they can tell me about.

Thanks,

Michael

I would pull a 26 foot boat with my V10 SuperDuty Ford.
Never would I pull something this big with an FJC. Wheelbase is to short and it would be hell on an auto trans.
More like the tail waggin the dog...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom