1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whoaa!! STOP!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cam75w/ls1, Feb 26, 2007.

1. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

Started my LC Sunday morning to go to the shop. I back it in at night so I can pull straight out in the morning,anyway,pulled out of my drive and went to the end of my street and went to hit the brakes and heard a thunk then the pedaal went to the floor and stuck. My first reaction made me yank the ebrake hard and come screeching to a halt. Needless to say the house at that stop sign has three local police officers that live there.:eek: I got out and opened the hood and the ******* master cylinder had fell off the brake booster. I very carefully drove it back to the house(using hand brake) Mounted the master cylinder,tried the brakes and now I have no power assist.
    I called my local Toyota dealer that I get my parts from and it was $580 something my cost. I'm a mechanic so I get jobber prices. WOW, I think I may start a thread on a aftermarket booster install. I'm real good at making CNC plates so I may retrofit to a GM or Ford booster.
    What was funny is the master cylinder never made noise or pedal travel never changed.

2. Elijah

Elijah

Wow!! How does that happen????

3. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    :confused:
    sounds like it was replayed prior and not none right:confused: .dam put that in the record book

4. boarcrz

boarcrz

Wow!
    Glad you and the Cruiser are OK :D

5. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

I bought it from a friend that owns a car lot and heard that they had problems w/ the brakes locking up. That was a year ago and it sat for a year and no one bought it. The mechanic that worked on it must've loosened all the bolts on the master cylinder dicking w/ it. When I looked at it to buy the truck drove great w/ the exceptions of a few leaks. Never thought to look at the master cylinder....:mad:

6. 80krazE

80krazE

Wow, that's scary!! Glad you made it out okay. So, what are your plans? Are you going to replace with OEM or "mod" it, as stated? I am curious what advantage you would gain by going away from OEM.

7. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

I plan on modding it w/ a similar booster as far as pushrod travel and effeciency. Might take it apart and see if the valves are stuck. I think the diaphram was old and when the master cylinder fell it stretched more than it had in along time and messed up. Don't have a rough idle from diaphram leak though. I'll check the booster tomorrow, internally. Already checked the hose today,vacuum readings,and pushrod adjustment. Need to fix soon or my right leg will start growing in size.:lol:

8. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

[offtopic] where's the dang AFM readings and such? [offtopic]

That sucks! Have you thought about going to a bigger MC along with the different booster?

9. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

No, not going to a diffrent size master cylinder. Brakes work fine w/ that size master. Just wanna do the booster. I haven't forgot about the MAF post update. Working too much. Trying to get the Mazda ready for the races this weekend.:D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  10. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

Media:
    Albums:
    i purchased the MC rebuild kit over a year ago.... finally rebuilt it a month or so back... EVERYTHING with the execption of the housing was included. If you decide to stay with OEM, buy the rebuild kit. As a mechanic I assume you have a honer (sp?) if you need it.
    Much cheaper than the entire MC

11. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

I am staying w/ the OEM one and NOT rebuilding it since the car lot that I purchased it from already replaced it w/ OEM new.:D Now if I can figure out which one left the nuts loose....:mad: