Who to believe (accident history) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I came across a 2011 that I am interested in. The CARFAX attached to the truck that is on the Toyota dealers website shows a clean CARFAX with no accident history. However, when I plug the VIN into the Toyota Owners website...an accident is reported. It goes like this:

CARFAX:

04/05/2012 16,118 Durant Toyota Weatherford, TX Vehicle serviced

05/02/2012 16,119 Jerry Durant Hyundai Weatherford, TX Vehicle serviced

05/07/2012 16,178 Auto Auction Texas Vehicle sold at auction

Toyota Owners Website:

Mileage: 16,118
05/02/2012 COLLISION REPA BODY REPAIR ~|~FRONT END AND LEFT SIDE ~|~ CUSTOMER PAY 2 05/02/2012 REFINISH PAINT REFINISH ~|~REFINISH FRONT END AND LEFT S IDE ~|~ CUSTOMER PAY 3 05/02/2012 MECH WORK MECHANICAL ~|~FRONT END ~|~ CUSTOMER PAY

The way I read this...the truck was wrecked when it had 16,118 miles. The dealer that repaired it reported it to CARFAX as a Service record. The owner then promptly sold it at 16,178 miles. The Toyota Owners website shows a collision repair. But the date that CARFAX reported 16,118 miles is different than the date that the Toyota Owners website reports 16,118 miles. Either way, it seems that it was wrecked and Owner 1 then dumped it.

I called the dealer that is currently selling the truck. The manager swears his CARFAX is clean/correct and that the truck has never been wrecked. I gave him all of this information and he doesn't believe me. I just want the truth and my gut tells me this manager is full of $hit. Or could there be a bad record in the Toyota Owners website? What do y'all think? I appreciate it in advance. Cheers.

Guy

Believe the dealer service record not the Carfax. There are lots of reasons it wouldn't show up on the Carfax like if the owner paid out of pocket and didn't file an insurance claim. Carfax is a great tool for general info, but it's not without faults.

^ +1

Yes I agree. This is a great example of the disparity between the two sources. Hence why I always put the VIN in the Toyota Owners website and read all service record details.

Searching for a 200 is almost like being a detective at times...

Try to find one with full service history. At the price for a 200, it seems like a reasonable requirement.

Auto auctions are also not a dealbreaker but something that raises a red flag for vehicles this new and expensive. Auctions are frequently the dumping grounds for cars with issues or history. When a Lexus or Toyota dealer takes possession of a vehicle and chooses to sell it at an auction rather than themselves, that's even more of a red flag.

Last edited:
Carfax is advertising.

^^^auto auctions

Couple things.....

First, a local body shop told my son the only accident damage reported to Carfax comes off a police report. If there was no police report for the damage/accident, there will be no Carfax record. The body shop does not report separately to Carfax. Apparently there was no police report for the one you looked because it reads "customer pays" (as in not the insurance company) and there's no record on Carfax. I'll bet the Toyota service record is correct.

Second, there is nothing particularly accurate about Carfax. I looked at a Highlander where the dealer stock number had been accidentally sent to Carfax as the number of miles on the vehicle. That discrepancy created a "Not actual miles." flag in the Carfax. The dealer showed me all that and said they could not get Carfax to correct the error. All Carfax would do is put another notatation in the file about the disagreement. All that would make the vehicle hard to resell, so I didn't pursue that one further.

I just want the truth and my gut tells me this manager is full of $hit.
I think it's in their DNA

Carfax, trust but verify, which you did, good work.

I lived in Philadelphia for a while and had 3 hit and run incidents where my vehicles were parked on the street and hit. One time the entire right side, 2 body panels and 2 doors were damaged as well as the front bumper ripped off. I never called the police and just filed it under my own comprehensive policy. None show up on the car fax... I also got the cars repaired at a private repair shop so I imagine there's no record of the damage or repairs documented anywhere.

I'd definitely believe the Toyota records. As someone else already said, something happened where no police report was filed (so undocumented with carfax) and the repairs were done at Toyota.

Dealer is full of s***. I personally stopped in and took a look at this truck before it was listed online for sale on a tip from a friend. It has definitely had some work done up front. Telltale signs are the fit of the bumper cover, it's just not right. It looks like it could be removed and replaced/positioned properly though. If you are interested in the truck, you might give it a test drive over to a local body shop and have a tech give it a once over. My guess is that you'll find the repair to be on the driver fender area. If it's been done right, it should be hard to notice. Good luck man

Good intel man. I had already decided to pass on it anyway. Dealer needs to come clean and admit it has been wrecked and does not have a clean carfax. Feel bad for whomever buys it not knowing. Thanks man.

Guy

Dealer is full of s***. I personally stopped in and took a look at this truck before it was listed online for sale on a tip from a friend. It has definitely had some work done up front. Telltale signs are the fit of the bumper cover, it's just not right. It looks like it could be removed and replaced/positioned properly though. If you are interested in the truck, you might give it a test drive over to a local body shop and have a tech give it a once over. My guess is that you'll find the repair to be on the driver fender area. If it's been done right, it should be hard to notice. Good luck man

Great work.. So what's the procedure of finding it out on the toyota web site?

Easy solution- take it to a reputable auto body shop and have them look it over. If you're worried about the frame, offer them $100 to rack it and look underneath

Easy solution- take it to a reputable auto body shop and have them look it over. If you're worried about the frame, offer them $100 to rack it and look underneath

If I was local that wouldn't be a problem. Truck is in Texas. I am in Florida. Dealer not willing to do this anyway.

If I was local that wouldn't be a problem. Truck is in Texas. I am in Florida. Dealer not willing to do this anyway.

Yeah, that would be a no go for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom