Builds WhimsyProto-mobile build log (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to firstly thank all of you here who have directly and indirectly help make the most educated car buying decision. With out a doubt I would have bought a much worse vehicle with out your help. Because I know my other thread will get lost in time, I will restate the rundown.

Its a green (cypress pearl) 2007 GX470, nav, non kdss, 3rd row, 180K (been Lexus dealer serviced every 5k for 176k, timing, alternator, and radiator done at 140k) It was a Chicago car until 2016 and then made its way to AZ.

So Here is what i know I need to do to get it back up to like new. I need to replace the power steering rack, I will need to replace the suspension (it still has the original front shocks, and bushings).

My perspective of this rig is that its a business tool, thus it will be treated as one, I dont want to risk it doing fun dumb s***, but I dont want to be limited in where I can take it within reason.

My short to long term goals with this machine is to turn it into a goat like pack mule that I can load it up with all the stuff I need to sell my leather wares at art shows, said artsy leather stuff, everything I need to live for 3-4 days, be comfortable, not loose to many MPG to modifications, and be capable of getting me to and from free camping near the shows. Long term is to do all of this while dragging it behind a converted highway bus. It will also be a daily driver. I also want it to fit in when I am in a fancy area of town at an art show so as not to draw too much attention or get hassled by the local authorities.

Things I know I want to do:
Hard shell RTT, I know it will cost me mpg but the ability to set up and take down quickly, and to save every bit of internal room for more stuff to sell and more stuff to live with. I can also take it off when not needed.
Upgrade the suspension but not raise it too much, 1-2" tops.
Picked up some FJC wheels with nearly new 265 70r 17s
Those Dissent off road bumpers... I eventually want to use them as tow points for the bus, so probably need steel over alumium? I will ask around when that bridge needs to be crossed.
Might do the rear bumper but that is not very high on my list.
Re-badge it as a Prado, but I am thinking about getting some of my graphic designer friends to come up with a retro re-envisioned design.
That Tesla style radio!

Things I know I will need your help with:
Are there any how to's on the power steering that anyone can recommend.
I know there are GOBS of advice on how to achieve maximum lift but how about minimum lift?
if I am replacing the bushings and I want to to pull this thing behind a bus and use it as a dinghy it probably needs a robust suspension.

I am always open to advice, suggestions, constructive criticism. I will always read and think about your comments weather or not I choose to follow/accept them. If you see something you think I might like or it would work for me dont hesitate to DM me or post it here. This is as much for me as it is for you. Its a place to show my successes and failures, its a place to show my questionable life choices, and its a place to talk about these things.

gx1.jpg

gx2.jpg

IMG_20180717_171323.jpg

First of all, congratulations on your purchase welcome to the community.

Regarding the suspension, I think you can get away with stock suspension or Bilsten 5100's with stock springs up front and trick the rear air bags to gain a little height in the back. This recommendation is based on your intended use of getting to free campsites (probably using forest service roads based on your new tires). I have an upgraded suspension ready to go into my GX but I've probably put about 300 off road miles on the rear bags and haven't had an issue. If your GX had less miles, you would probably be fine with a fully stock suspension but I am guessing it's probably pretty tired by now. I'd say replace the shocks with 5100's so you get some responsiveness back (and height if you really want it) and replace and adjust the rear bags. I think the bags will offer you the best of both worlds since you will get some lift out of them and they adjust depending on the amount of cargo you have. With a RTT and your business supplies you may be loaded down quite a bit so if you do want springs so as to eliminate the possibility of air bag failure maybe some OME or Icon 2" springs would suffice.

I also really like the Dissent Offroad bumper (I think it's second only to the Hefty Fab bumper which is more expensive and discontinued) but would a pair of recovery points like the ones offered by Trail Tailor or Treaty Oak not work as tow points? I really enjoy looking at some of these mega builds on here and GXOR but I think we tend to go overboard with the upgrades sometimes. But if there's a group buy for that Dissent bumper I may just join it lol.

One more thing. IF you decide to go with recovery points instead of a whole bumper I would suggest the Trail Tailor ones. His design puts the eye for the shackle a little higher than Treaty Oak's. On '07+ GX's (like yours and mine) you have to cut the factory tow point to accommodate the Treaty Oak one.

AAAANNNNNDDDD I just broke the key clamshell... it turns out it wasnt designed to be used by a 200 lb gorilla standing outside of the car to turn on the ac while doing other things. Oh well needed to get a second one anyways, it just got bumped up to a tomorrow problem. Definetly going with a yuppie switchblade style from 1010keys.

That Dissent bumper sold me on the gx, and as Murf's tech said during the PPI "Half of the stuff we put on our rigs is to make them work better the other half is to look cool."

I am kind of vexed that the bilstein FJC kit has been discontinued, that is totally what I would have done, and may still do allbeit near the price of other fixes. My biggest concern is weight distribution and I know a lot of applications use air ride to do that. I know the air bags are utter crap for off roading as unless you had a guage and a chart and spare bags and and and sure feild repairing a deflated bag is probably not that hard, but spirngs are just more reliable, but less versitile. I am probably more interested in versitility. I am going to create an account over at expedition portal, as I am realistically building a peddlers overland rig, the moderen caravan as it were. Khajiit has wares if you have the coin.

Check out some of the 3D printed key shells. If you already broke one, the stock style might not be man enough for you! Tandem off-road makes a couple and I think there are some other guys doing them too . Anyhow, they are cheap and rugged as hell !
Tandem Offroad

I want to get some switchblade cases I really liked them on my golf, I like having my driving key separate from other keys to not put strain on the ignition lock. Those flip key fobs are just the right size to not get lost but still easily fit in pockets, even lady pants pockets (seriously why do women buy pants with fake pockets or pockets big enough for a flip key and a lighter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom