Which transmission?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I am new to the fj40 club and just bought a 69 fj40 with a 350 small block. It still has the 3 speed tranny and 3 speed transfer case. I want to upgrade the tranny to make it more street friendly, but don't know what tranny is best. I am not into rock crawling so the NV4500 and other like it are too much money for a poor guy. Is there a transmission swap I can do for a decent budget that will give me highway drivability and retain the 3 speed transfer case?
Please help! Paul

ptandkids said:
Is there a transmission swap I can do for a decent budget that will give me highway drivability and retain the 3 speed transfer case?
Please help! Paul

Not really. Your best bet is probably a Toyota 4 speed tranny and transfer. I see them all the time on here for $250 or so. Then you get better gears for the street, just remember in 4th gear the ratio is the same.

Agree 100% that there isn't much that's cheap on a Land Cruiser. If money is an issue, spend it on a good tune up, a carb rebuild, and fixing oil leaks. You might consider driving it as is for 6 months to a year to decide what you are really going to want. Once you start modifying, it's a slippery slope.

ptandkids said:
It still has the 3 speed tranny and 3 speed transfer case. I want to upgrade the tranny to make it more street friendly, but don't know what tranny is best.

Welcome! First thing to learn about Cruisers is that anything you do to them isn't really cheap...

As for transmission swaps. What don't you like about the 3 speed? What are you looking for to make the FJ40 more street friendly?

I have an SM420 and I can tell you right now you don't want one of those nore probably a SM465. 1st gear is pretty useless on my SM420 for anything other than offroad crawling. Had a '76 with the stock 4-speed and that was just about right for me for street driving.

Personally, I think the NV4500 with the higher 1st gear ratio (two types out there, one with a real low 1st gear and another with the slightly higher 1st gear) would be just about perfect. I've never driven a FJ40 with one in it though. For pure street driving maybe you should look into going with an automatic...

With a 350 I imagine your options are more widely open and the swap a tad easier...maybe...

Good luck!

NV4500 is very a nice transmission and most likely it would be worth the money in the end.

You can keep that t-case with just about an tranny but you gotta get an adapter from these guys www.advanceadapters.com .

Since you say you want highway driveability the only two ways I can point you to are the 4500 or maybe go auto, like a 700r4. That way you can have overdrive...

And like projektdotnet said there is not much stuff that is cheap in cruisers.

whatever 4 spd you put in there is probably just gonna be a 1:1 4th gear just like your 3 speed... it will give you no better highway speeds but just seperates the gears more until 4th (lower 1st gear)

cheap over drive would be to get bigger tires...

Thank you guys for your quick responses! I guess the cheapest thing about the fj is the initial purchase price! lol.... Several of you mentioned the 700r4 tranny, and maybe that is the way I need to go. Thank you again!

If cost is no object, an H55f tranny would be great. You would need a split transfer case from an FJ60, and a new bellhousing, but you could stay all Toyota, and have a fully syncro'ed 5 speed overdrive tranny.

If you are not off-roading, I would avoid an SM420. If you do start offroading, an SM420 would be the way to go.

Cruiserdrew said:
If you are not off-roading, I would avoid an SM420. If you do start offroading, an SM420 would be the way to go.
Read: Trails higher than a 3 rating. For mild trails a 420 is overkill anything 3+ or higher can be justified but I've done upwards of 3+ (and the first part of a 5 trail with my stock 4spd and manual steering...it didn't feel nice :D

Cruiserdrew said:
. . . spend it on a good tune up, a carb rebuild, and fixing oil leaks. You might consider driving it as is for 6 months to a year to decide what you are really going to want. Once you start modifying, it's a slippery slope.
I agree. Let it simmer for awhile. If you rush into a bunch of big time modifications your truck will be in the shop instead of on the road. Fix the easy stuff first. Get some tunes and take the top off.

And by the way, putting a 700R into an FJ40 is not trivial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom