Which Carb would you use?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by SD_FJ_40, Aug 26, 2006.

1. SD_FJ_40

SD_FJ_40

Hello Mud friends!

I've been rebuilding a 1970 FJ 40 I picked up several months ago. Due to Catastrophic engine failure (details I'll go into on a later post) I had to put in a very nice orginal 1969 F motor I found for a great deal. I can't decide if I should use the '70 carb and intake or the '69. I know jet sizes changed that year, as did the linkages. The '69 carb is on now, and fired right up, but I need a new accelerator cable to finish it off. Not a huge problem, but if for some reason the '70 is better, then I can pop that one on and it's good to go. I orginally thought it best to pair the carb to the orginal engine, but I thought I mind as well ask the experts while it's still easy to get to.

Much thanks for the input!

Kurt

2. rgentry

rgentry

There was a wierd 2 BBL carb that went on the '69. Here is a picture from the SOR site to see if you have that one (most folks avoid this one as far as I know). I have a titled '69 that is really a '68 and have the small window 1 BBL carb (which is simple and trustworthy). The true 1970 2 BBL carb is a good one I think.
    tempC.jpg

3. cruiser88

cruiser88 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    ya 70 and up is good

4. SD_FJ_40

SD_FJ_40

Yup, that is the 2 BBL '69 carb I have. The '70 is also a 2 BBL, and worked fine before the "incident". If it is a more reliable, and simpler carb, and I don't have to replace the accelerator cable, that seems like good enough reasons to swap to the '70 carb.

Just wondering... what makes the '70 more trustworthy? I'm just glad I have the option.

Thanks for the input.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.