Which Carb would you use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud friends!

I've been rebuilding a 1970 FJ 40 I picked up several months ago. Due to Catastrophic engine failure (details I'll go into on a later post) I had to put in a very nice orginal 1969 F motor I found for a great deal. I can't decide if I should use the '70 carb and intake or the '69. I know jet sizes changed that year, as did the linkages. The '69 carb is on now, and fired right up, but I need a new accelerator cable to finish it off. Not a huge problem, but if for some reason the '70 is better, then I can pop that one on and it's good to go. I orginally thought it best to pair the carb to the orginal engine, but I thought I mind as well ask the experts while it's still easy to get to.

Much thanks for the input!

Kurt

There was a wierd 2 BBL carb that went on the '69. Here is a picture from the SOR site to see if you have that one (most folks avoid this one as far as I know). I have a titled '69 that is really a '68 and have the small window 1 BBL carb (which is simple and trustworthy). The true 1970 2 BBL carb is a good one I think.
tempC.jpg

rgentry said:
There was a wierd 2 BBL carb that went on the '69. Here is a picture from the SOR site to see if you have that one (most folks avoid this one as far as I know). I have a titled '69 that is really a '68 and have the small window 1 BBL carb (which is simple and trustworthy). The true 1970 2 BBL carb is a good one I think.

Yup, that is the 2 BBL '69 carb I have. The '70 is also a 2 BBL, and worked fine before the "incident". If it is a more reliable, and simpler carb, and I don't have to replace the accelerator cable, that seems like good enough reasons to swap to the '70 carb.

Just wondering... what makes the '70 more trustworthy? I'm just glad I have the option.

Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom