When to use ECT & O/D ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mine is a 3/1994 if that helps up front.

Otherwise, never knew what they do specifically and when to properly use them ?

Can someone enlighten me please ? :meh:

When the dash light "O/D off" is lit, what does that actually mean ? Normally, I drive with that light unlit.

P.S. Yes I did do some searching with semi-mixed results and peoples opinions and uses were contradicting ... and I'm sorry for asking a stupid question.

For what it's worth, I always drive with ECT on. See no advantage to having it off. It changes the shift patterns of the truck is all I notice. If you do highway driving then keep O/D turned on (light off). It's best to turn off O/D when you are going up a grade to keep RPMs higher and prevent "gear searching"

ECT puts the transmission into a sportier shift pattern. I always turn that button on regardless of the car or conditions; it just makes the transmissions feel much more responsive.

Like NLXTACY mentioned, the O/D button keeps the tranny from shifting into 4th gear (when the light is lit). You'd use this when you really need to keep the revs up when towing or climbing a hill at speed or such.

Cool, that explains it for me.
I realize it's something pretty simple, but I don't have a owners manual, and I messed with it, but messing with it and actually knowing what it does is two different things, on top of when to use it. Guess I'll leave the ECT on for now on.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom