When it rains it pours..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:lol: x2 :lol:

IT'S BAAAAAAACCCCKKKKKK!!! :mad:

Truck threw a check engine light on the way home from work Friday. She'd run a little rough on start up and for about 5 minutes on the way to work in the morning and began doing the same thing when I left work. Not 2 minutes out of the parking lot and the check engine light came on. My first thought was what did I :censor: up doing a simple oil change the previous weekend, but there's nothing around the filter that would have caused this.

Got home and stuck my trusty diagnostic tool (bent paper clip) that I keep in the truck into E1/TE1 and counted a code 26...again! Now this thread is from 2009 and given the reputation for my truck eating O2 sensors, I shouldn't be surprised. I could swear I'd replaced them since this debacle in 2009, but could not find a receipt for them from my favorite parts manager (CDAN).

I do know that a code 26 - rich fuel mixture, can be caused by so much more than O2's, but given my truck's history, I'd be about 95% certain it's nothing more than the O2's. Shot the four nuts with a little WD40 yesterday afternoon in preparation for their removal and have a PM into Dan for current cost. :confused:

I did pull the EFI fuse to reset things, but didn't drive it to work this morning. When I pulled the fuse, one of the blades broke off and stayed in it's slot. Doubt that would be the issue here, but will take her out for a drive after work some time this week to 'reset' the ECU and CEL, then see if it comes back before plunking down a couple hundred on two new sensors.

I must be patient. Went ahead and ordered the set of O2 sensors from Dan. Drove the truck to work this morning and outside the typical rough idle in the beginning from the ECU resetting itself, the truck ran fine, idled smoothly at stop lights and the CEL didn't come on the entire 20 mile, 40 minute commute in this morning. Guess we'll wait and see...

give her some WOT and premium fuel.
it's the cruiser telling you to drive it more...

WOT - wide open throttle per urban dictionary?? I know she's pissed that I don't give her more love!! o_O I did go get her dirty in Monache Meadows a few weeks ago and replaced a rear locker sensor so we could converse better about what she's doing! :lol:

Did the WOT yesterday as well as several errands at lunch to continue the ECU reset. Commute home last night was smooth and no CEL back...yet. Did fill up tank, but regular, not premium. Could throw in a bottle of fuel additive?? Most of that stuff is snake oil isn't it??:rolleyes:

Knowing the truck, it'll be a matter of when, not if,the CEL comes back. Will bring her to work tomorrow as well just wait and see I guess.

I fixed my rough idle problem once I figured out it was caused by a crack in the intake. Replaced intake and rough idle problem went away for good.

I fixed my rough idle problem once I figured out it was caused by a crack in the intake. Replaced intake and rough idle problem went away for good.

Had you thrown a CEL though?

This came about again last Friday when she threw a code 26, rich fuel. Rough idle from rich fuel and then ECU reset pulling the EFI fuse.

Had you thrown a CEL though?

This came about again last Friday when she threw a code 26, rich fuel. Rough idle from rich fuel and then ECU reset pulling the EFI fuse.

The CEL that I got was for "running lean" when I had the rough idle problem. Too much unmetered air was getting into the engine.

Strangely though, I remember that the CEL may stay on for 5-15 min then disappear on it's own without having to reset. Couple restarts later the CEL may come back and eventually disappear again. Repeat. I was surprised that the CEL would reset on it's own without my intervention.

Been there done that with the intake tube! Reason for rough idle is that vacuum pressure would 'seal' the crack under load. I never threw a code with the cracked tube IIRC

My '94 has a horrible history dating all the way back to new and the recall for O2's. I think I'm on at least my 4th or 5th set. Last time per my files back in '09 dealer did a whole bunch of stuff before throwing up their hands and replacing the O2's after a couple of days. All's been fine since then. Don't drive the truck nearly as much now which is why I've probably gone 6 years since the last set!

If this CEL doesn't come back, at least I've got a new set that I'll keep with me in the truck. I'd take odds tho that the CEL will be back before long.

Friday update - smooth as butter driving/idling all the way to the office this morning. Not one bit of rough idle, stumbling or hesitation on acceleration at all. In the past after a ECU reset, the CEL has come back on pretty quickly. We'll just have to wait and see.

Went through this thread from the beginning. Got to the part where you said the rig was 15 years young...I thought "this guy sucks at math"!

LOL. She's 21 now! ...and I'm an accountant. :)

Well...looks like my luck may have lasted about a year...almost to the day. :mad:

Threw a CEL going to lunch today. Pulled the EFI fuse while at lunch and stuck it back in after eating. CEL came right back on this time unlike last year when it stayed off. Will have to pull the code tonight after Red Cross if I feel like it. I've got my money on a 25/26 rich or lean, take your choice. At least I've already got a brand spanking new set of O2 plugs I ordered from Dan last year when I threw a CEL.

Pulled the code this morning - 21 - #1 O2 sensor. Schedule is so busy but I need to get this done before heading over to a 4 day defensive handgun class outside of Vegas that starts the 21st. Headed up to NorCal to begin the monumental task of cleaning out the FIL's house and workshops. He passed away two weeks ago. All four daughters, three BIL's and one boyfriend are all headed up tomorrow for a loooong weekend of cleaning and organizing. Will probably have to get home a little early today, hit the nuts with some WD40, let the pips cool off and replace the sensors tonight. I always do both of them even tho code says it's only the one. These lasted 6 years...pretty good for my truck!

Two new sensors in. Damn I've gotten quick doing these damn things. CEL is gone...perhaps for another five or six years. Now I need to be concerned about Toyota discontinuing these!

Well, my luck isn't lasting too long. Threw a CEL yesterday morning...problem is that its intermittent! It went away as the truck warmed up. Did the exact thing at lunch and going home. Got home with CEL off. Will ECU still have the code? Hope so. Will pull the code after gym tonight and see what it is this time.

Code 26 again. Shouldn't be O2 sensor as those are brand new. Need to find time to get down to SD Trux.

Truck is down with John at SD Trux. Waiting on a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom