Wheelin an 80: A testimonial (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday, after almost 2 years of ownership, I took my 80 on its first true shake down run. We drove up and did gold mountain and John Bull.

My 80 has got a 4" slee lift, arb front bumper, winch, dual swingout rear, white knuckle sliders, and 315s. As capable as it's gonna get without cutting and pasting a 3 link, chopping, bobbing, etc. These are my observations wheeling trails like jb.

This thing is heavy. You can feel the weight of it everywhere. All that armor, the truck itself, the rack above your head, all of it imposes itself on you at all times while doing trails like jb. This is not a point anywhere and jam on the gas truck like my rubicon was. Every move has to be well executed.

We started at gold mountain (3n69) and the 38. Even through the few obstacles on that trail, I was thankful for my lockers. I think you need them in a truck this big. I just want to get through the obstacle with the rubber down and without them engaged, that instantly becomes a lot harder than it needs to be.

The transfer case gearing also is painfully lacking, especially running 315s. There were points where, in 4L, I could barely get past the stall converter to make the thing go forward. Really needs 4:1, especially for something this heavy. Easy in a jeep or minitruck, where you can atlas and twin stick to your heart's content. Little more difficult of a proposition in an 80.

Spent a lot of time on my diffs and my sliders. A LOT of time. So much so that 37s may be in my future.

I did a full day of (imo) pretty technical wheeling in my 80 with my ENTIRE family with me. Wife and four kids 17 down to 5. Do that in a tj. I sold that jeep because wheeling with my two boys (who are small) was such a pain in the ass that it took all the fun out of trips like this. We did it in comfort, everyone was safe. And the 80 followed a 50k long armed, locked up jk through all those trails like it was nothing. Considerably more dramatic than the jb trips I was used to in my jeep, but never fearing for my life and the lives of my children.

Did not come out unscathed. Despite all my armor, I caught a tree above the flare of my rear passenger side qp. That's gonna need some body work. This was my only damage outside of sliders and diffs showing some good scratches.

All said and done, we drove it up, beat the hell out of it, and drove it back. With 6 people inside having the time of their lives. Got some poser shots at the top of jb with video shot from my kid soon to follow. So cal 80 folks, opinions?

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

I had the opposite experience of you. All I have ever wheeled prior to this weekend is my built up 80 series, 5.29s, marlin t case gears, 37s, armored etc. It is exactly what you describe comfortable, big, and requires your full attention on every trail. I've taken It through John bull several times, Clawhammer, coral canyon, etc.

However, this weekend, I took out the 1st gen 4runner I've been building. It's got dual cases, 35s, front and rear lockers, and oh my God what a difference. I took it though John bull without breaking a sweat. Never once worried about hitting anything on the underbody or catching a control arm and it climbed whatever I pointed it at. It sucked climbing up big bear in a worn out 4 banger but it kicks ass in the trail.

The 80 is a great vehicle for its size and comfort, but it gets stressful driving on the narrower and more rocky trails. Nice job on navigating thru one of the tougher trails in big bear.

Btw was the tree that got you on the back side of John bull after the 2nd waterfall as you descend some rocks?

I'm now convinced, even with my 3 kids, I'll be taking the 4 runner out more than the 80 especially when it comes to the more technical trails.

My tree I'm convinced was at the gate keeper. First real obstacle where I chose to go far right and then cut left to get myself in position to go up the waterfall. Thing about it is I can't exactly say "where" I got the damage. Didn't feel a thing but that was the only spot I truly got held up in and it pitched the front ds of the truck up. Could've been anywhere though. That tree you are talking about almost got me too. Managed to worm my way through that one without incident.

No opposites, that was my thoughts as well. My tj was a rubicon swb on 35s fully armored. Point and shoot without a doubt in my mind if it was ever gonna do anything wonky on me. "Almost boring" was the words I gave my wife when selling. It could do anything without thought. This one, while capable is anything but boring. And I think out of all the things I've done to it to get it ready, it needs tcase gears the most. Then 37s.

Coming from the Jeep world to the yota world I have quite a bit of experience wheelin both. Owned a CJ, TJ, XJ, and WJ. Ran then all through JB except the WJ. That was the wifes DD. Ran 2 of the 3 80s through JB as well. The 3rd one will go through soon. The TJ did great but my XJ on 60's, lockers, and 37s did the best. My 80s have all struggled a bit more BUT all got through. There are two major differences and the differences that will always keep me away from Jeeps. My yotas (even with 2-3 times the mileage) don't leave me stranded on the trail or highway. My Jeeps ALWAYS broke down. I would say 60-70% of my build funds went to OEM part repairs/upgrades. With yotas it's more like 20-30% go to repairs and the rest goes to upgrades. Chrysler/Jeep just does not build to the quality standard that Toyota does. the other big factor is the 7 passenger option. With 4 kids, I must have a 7 passenger rig. There just isn't a more capable 7 passenger rig on the planet than an 80.

the other big factor is the 7 passenger option. With 4 kids, I must have a 7 passenger rig. There just isn't a more capable 7 passenger rig on the planet than an 80.

Also with 4 kids this was my reason as well. My reliability story is sordid with the 80. I'll post up my thread. My fault due to not knowing what to look for with an 80 in front of me but expensive lessons none the less.

I agree, I moved away from my XJ because I wanted 7 seats, and there is a reason my screen name is ReformedJeeper. I agree 100% that I'd wheel a 20+ year old toyota before any jeep. Hands down out of the box the 80 series with lockers is as good as any 4wheel truck out there.

Also with 4 kids this was my reason as well. My reliability story is sordid with the 80. I'll post up my thread. My fault due to not knowing what to look for with an 80 in front of me but expensive lessons none the less.
A poorly maintained 80 can always be problematic BUT you have to account for mileage as well. Look at a 300k 80 then compare that to a 300k TJ or XJ (tha's assuming you can actually find one). Now what is the cost to maintain those two vehicles. A similar mileage 80 will be WAY less to own then a comparable mileage Jeep. sometimes guys compare their 2013 JK to my 97 200k+ plus 80 and say "See, I'm just as reliable as you". we will see in 20 years and 200k later how "reliable" your JK is.

Is JB much different than a couple years ago? With 37's it is pretty low key. I took 7 other guys in mine up it in this video. We got through it all pretty quick.

Is JB much different than a couple years ago? With 37's it is pretty low key. I took 7 other guys in mine up it in this video. We got through it all pretty quick.

I watched your video prior to going up actually. Jb on 35s I spent a lot of time on my sliders. Nothing dramatic though. Now that I talked to my buddy I did this with I got this on gold mountain somewhere. Not on jb.

IMG_0322.JPG

Tagged a tree somewhere on that trail. Went and talked to a pdr guy in my area, $450 to fix. Looks like it's going to the body shop instead since I acquired it with pretty much the same kind of damage to the other side from tail light guards.

You made that trail look pretty easy though. That and all the other jv videos you posted. Good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom