Wheel/Tire check: Method 703 offset 35 with 285/75 R17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title says it all. I'm picking up a new 2007 LX470 on Friday and want to check if this wheel/tire combo will work without rubbing. I've searched but there seems to be some conflicting info on the forum.
Some say that the wheels will need to be bored out, some say they should work, some say you need a spacer, some say they work great on the 200 for sure, but others doubt it.

It looks like the 703 hub bore is 110.5mm and the stock wheel bore is 110mm, so I'm guessing it will fit over the flange unless the offset affects that.

I don't know a ton about wheel fitment, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for to verify they "fit" once I have it up on the stands. As long as the wheel fits over the hub flange and the lug nuts can be tightened down, am I good?

Also, the same for the tire size. Lots of searching, but nobody seems to know for sure if the 35 offset will tuck the 285/75 r17 enough to avoid rubbing. I'm not sure how to check other than buying the tires and adjusting pinch welds and wheel well as needed.

If I'm the guinea pig, so be it, but want to at least check in with ya'll to see if you can lend some expertise.

Thanks!

Of course as soon as I posted I found a post where someone is running the same wheels.

So these don't actually fit. They say Bore: 110.5mm on the box, but the actual hub bore is 109 in the inside, which tapers down, then an outer ring of 104mm. Calling Method Monday to see what they say.

Here are some pictures with the wheel pushed as far on the truck as possible:

1669491451080.png

1669491473907.png

1669491495396.png

Strange - I was messaging with @Jhow205 a few months ago re these wheels and they are running them with no fitment issues. I confirmed they were +35 offset.

Edit: Also found a pic I saved from another member, can't remember who's truck at the moment.

IMG_2840.jpg

Yah - Kind of reserving judgment until I talk to them Monday.
I think I could get them on if I filed down the hubs on the truck a bit and used a rubber mallet, but that doesn't seem like the intended fit, ya know?

This is some confusing s***. Makes no sense why they wouldn't fit on your hub vs some other 100s as we've seen. Very interested to hear what Method has to say about this.

Quick update:
First, the people at Method are great. After emailing them they asked me to call in.
The first thing they said is, "don't worry, we're going to take care of it," then walked me through some basic troubleshooting.

It's always refreshing when a company's support is better than you expect. Huge props to them for that.

Next steps are that they forwarded to the engineering team who should reach out soon. They suspect it might be a bad run of wheels maybe. They also asked me to try to mount a wheel on a different corner of the truck to make sure I don't have one weird hub or something.

Should have a follow-up later today.

Quick update:
First, the people at Method are great. After emailing them they asked me to call in.
The first thing they said is, "don't worry, we're going to take care of it," then walked me through some basic troubleshooting.

It's always refreshing when a company's support is better than you expect. Huge props to them for that.

Next steps are that they forwarded to the engineering team who should reach out soon. They suspect it might be a bad run of wheels maybe. They also asked me to try to mount a wheel on a different corner of the truck to make sure I don't have one weird hub or something.

Should have a follow-up later today.
Ah interesting. Glad to hear they have good customer service. And the mystery continues!

Ok - I just tried the same exact wheel on the other corners of the LX. It fits perfectly.

This is not a wheel issue. It's a hub issue. A couple of takeaways:
1) The wheels fit and if you want them, you shouldn't worry about buying them.
2) The Method guys are really great from a support standpoint. Nothing but great things to say about them.
3) No idea how that front-left hub could be bigger than the others, but I'll post another update once I figure it out.

Ok. I know WHAT the problem is, but no idea how or why it came to be like this or what to do about it.

Here's where the wheel is getting hung up on the front-left hub:
1669755857509.png

That "lip" is there around the entire hub. It's not like it's off-center. It's just too big. Only by a millimeter or two, but that's enough to make the Method wheel not slide on. Even the OEM wheel is a little tighter on this side than the other.

I just bought the truck a week ago, so don't know the history here. I'm not sure how it could have become this way, or maybe it just always was.
I have NO idea what to do from here. Any experts here have any thoughts?

Thanks for following up on this, was about to order these as well. I'm guessing the hub flange might be aftermarket and thus the imperfect fit. Do you have oem front axles? It's not uncommon for the flanges to need replacement from excess wear.

Interesting find. Thanks for following-up. Too many of these threads leave us hanging and create more questions than answers when searched.

I'm partial to that wheel/tire combo myself lol

Took a closer look. I'm pretty sure the wheel hub flange was replaced at some point. It's different between the left and right. Take a look:
Left (Note the many dimples in the edge)
1669758453597.png

Right (note the single dimple):

1669758480067.png

So new question, since I'm a little out of my depth now.

This is the part, right? 43503-69035 Genuine Toyota Front Axle Hub Sub-Assembly - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~hub~sub~assy~fr~axl~43503-69035.html

What's involved in replacing it? The part itself is a few hundred bucks :(
I don't want to get myself into a situation where I have to disassemble the front end of the truck to replace that thing. I have basic tools, torque wrench, BFG, and so on. Is this something I should attempt myself? Do I just start pulling stuff off until I can get that flange off, then put it back together?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom