"What's the 4 holes for?" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TLC - There is no disagreement that the HITCH can handle large loads, the question is if the CROSS MEMBER could carry the load. Would you tow 5,000+#s on the stock rear cross member?

Cheers, Hugh

I agree that the cross member looks wimpy by itself but anyone ever look under an F-350? The entire frame is u-channel and those things are rated for mucho mucho mucho weight. Not to thick a gauge metal either.

Oaxaca80 said:
I have a 5 ton pintle hook bolted up in the OEM location being discussed.

I have had it in some pretty nasty situations on dirt mountain tracks. Nothing like the picture in the link indicates however :D

http://www.cs.odu.edu/~glaves/chris/trailer/want.html

If only it was a Cruiser doing the towing :eek:

I like that top pic - six more inches and that rear window is history. I guess the owner of that trailer wasn't the one who had to buy it .

John

Gold Finger said:
Looking at a previous thread covering the same suject I think I recall cruiserdan stating 12 x 1.25 which is exactly what I had measured up and fitted exactly into my rear cross member. Perhaps holes are different in some parts of the world, perhaps sort off black holes!!

When I went to install my receiver I noted that a 1/2 inch bolt was loose in the lower holes, whiuch are unthreaded. So I drilled the frame holes slightly oversized to 9/16 and installed 9/16 bolts.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom