What's that clicking noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last spring I put a set of Aisin locking hubs on the front of my '92 so that I could go 2wd. I ran it all summer and fall with the hubs unlocked and center diff locked with no problems and no strange noises. I even got a 0.3 mpg fuel economy increase!

Early in the winter we got some ice, so I locked the hubs and disengaged the center diff lock. I have ran it 4wd all winter.

This morning I decided to go back to 2wd, so locked the diff and unlocked the hubs. I made a couple of trips to town and noticed that sometimes I hear a clicking noise when starting from a dead stop. It is just a few clicks lasting less than a half second. It doesn't do it every time, maybe one time out of five.

I locked the hubs and unlocked the diff and could not get it to do it. Then went back to 2wd and it happens again.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Well, the fact that you're locking your center diff, your are STILL turning your front DS, regardless of whether or not you hubs are locked in. All you are doing is allowing the front wheels to freewheel from the axle shafts.

The increase in gas mileage is in your head. You have done nothing to change the rotational parts or drive then what you had before. Except the froction on the front tires if you're driving in circles all the times........ (I know this because I have done the same in my Jeep GC because I like 2WD......but I can actually spin the tires with that one...)

The clicking could be a U-Joint, or even a Birfield, or the axle shaft rattling around inside the front hub .

I'm guessing a U-Joint on the rear because the only thing that has truly taken place is that you have transferred ALL of the engine load to the REAR axle while unlocked in the front, rather than being split 50/50 front and rear with them sharing the load through the transfer case. Your front shaft has minimal load, but the rear has ALL the load.

Check there first. Also check your grease on the yokes.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom