Whatcha Fermenting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
I think a bunch of you brew stuff.... Some distill?

I've always had fun with it. Used to do at least 20 gallons a year, but just 5-10 gallons a year now as I try to drink less. I usually use whatever fruit I can get my hands on and make wine or cider, as it's cheap and I usually can come up with some good flavors. I don't use sulfites, just yeast/nutrient/fruit/sugar/water. By starting with clean sound fruit, and getting it bubbling quick, never had anything go bad on me.

In past I've done:

Blackberry wine
Rainier Cherry wine
Apple wine/cider
Pear wine/cider
Plum wine/cider
Peach wine
Apricot wine
Raspberry wine
Various mixes of the above...

This year I'm trying something new. Arbutus wine. Have this 'Strawberry Tree' on the property that is a heavy fruiting Arbutus relative. Berries are edible. Tried jam etc, but too seedy. This year thought what the heck, will try making some wine.

Tree looks like this:

arbutus-strawberry-tree-750x750_2.jpg

Here are 25bs crushed berries fermenting right now. So far smells/tastes promising. Will be a neat orange color if nothing else, lol. If it sucks I'll give it to @stevebradford to distill. ;) Apparently in Portugal, that's what they do with these fruits.... Medronho - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medronho

IMG_20221108_095208280.jpg
IMG_20221108_095226233.jpg

Last edited:
Neat tree, think it will grow seedlings? I would be interested in some seeds if you think they might grow. I also have a bottle of my whiskey for you if you would like to try.

Sounds like you need a still!

Making pure 96% ethanol alcohol, flavouring to your liking then watering back to 40-50% is dangerous though, the no hangovers make it too easy to drink all the time!

Haha we're lazy, we drop off fruit at McBarleys in Duncan.

Got about 70lbs of grapes this year ( ****all for apples despite 13 trees)

We had him do a sparkling wine/cider with them last year.

Sortof a persecco (sp?) Mainly so we could use 1l pop bottles and not deal with corks.

Neat tree, think it will grow seedlings? I would be interested in some seeds if you think they might grow. I also have a bottle of my whiskey for you if you would like to try.

Sounds like you need a still!

Making pure 96% ethanol alcohol, flavouring to your liking then watering back to 40-50% is dangerous though, the no hangovers make it too easy to drink all the time!

Yup, the seeds do grow, as I have a couple tiny ones that have popped up. I can try to pot one for you as well as giving you some seeds.

Haha, I've purposefully avoided a still for myself as I'm the type that has difficulty moderating. I think it would get me into trouble pretty quick. That said, I'd love to try some of your whiskey sometime!

Haha we're lazy, we drop off fruit at McBarleys in Duncan.

Got about 70lbs of grapes this year ( f***all for apples despite 13 trees)

We had him do a sparkling wine/cider with them last year.

Sortof a persecco (sp?) Mainly so we could use 1l pop bottles and not deal with corks.

That's cheating! Thought you made 'witch piss' at one time?

I'm trying to get some grapes going on my property. Hopefully will have enough to try in a couple years now.

Yeah, the cold spring made our apple crop suck this year too. Nothing was out pollinating. To some degree I'm happy to have the break, as we were getting ~1000lbs fruit off our little property here. Had 400lbs of prune plums last year, only 10lb this year. At least 400lbs of apples last year, maybe 50lb this year.

Haha yeah we've been cheating for years. The witch piss was the first batch of cider from McBarleys where the percentage kinda got away from him :lol:

It was savage.

Our place in chemainus had the best apple tree. Huge juicy crisp apples, and it pumped them out like freaking crazy.
I stood in one spot, and filled a garbage can...850lbs and I didn't empty the tree. Wasn't even that big a tree. 😳

That was the year we started making cider. :lol:

One year I made a total of 55 gallons of hard apple cider. I don't remember much from that year. All my photos were deleted too, on purpose. lol. If I don't remember 2013, does that make me 39 instead of 40???

Last picture I was experimenting making jail juice, aka crunk juice. I had to throw away the last couple gallons as all the weirdos were starting to knock on my door.

DSC02675.JPG

DSC02831.JPG

DSC02649.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom