What type of engine oil should be put in? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just spoke to the service department manager at the local Toyota dealership to set up an oil change to be done the same time they inspect my tires for the recall. I asked him if switching to a synthetic would be beneficial and he said "not really". I also asked him about Amsoil and he had no idea what it was.

Could someone explain what exactly Amsoil is and how it works, also whether or not it would be beneficial?

I got the impression from him that i was some kind of inconvenience to him.

Amsoil

Amsoil is a high grade synthetic lubricant. It is 100% synthetic not a blend. On average most amsoil users get about 2 extra mpg. The cost of the oil is a bit higher than regular but you get better protection, smoother running engines and transmissions, cooler running engines and transmissions. I have used Amsoil for about 20 years now in personal vehicles and in customers vehicles and have had nothing but success. Amsoil is a full line synthetic manufacturer...meaning they are more than just oil. Go to www.amsoil.com and check it out. Yes I sell it but I will not sell it here.....this is for information only. Find a dealer in your area and support him. Amsoil will help you find a dealer close to you. The reason the service manager said it was not really benificial was it would not help him out in selling you product. There are a few auto dealers up here who sell it and are very satisfied. You should know the old rule in automotives.....Sell what you got!..... And some people have blinders on and just try to make it through the day with learning anything or trying something new.
:bounce2:

Last edited:
Synthetic oil is the stuff. You should use it for a variety of reasons, and the best bang for the buck comes from starting early in the car's life.

I disagree with the Amsoil reccomendation. It is good oil, but is at least 50% hype. It is sold by a multilevel marketing scheme which is weird. There is no reason to reccomend it over Mobil 1, which is easy to get anywhere. While you are under the factory warrenty, use whatever viscosity is reccomended by Toyota, probably 5w-30. Most dealer service shops will let you bring in the oil you want them to use.

Do the FJCs have an oil life monitor? Not that I trust them, just curious.

Mobil 1 10W-30. I run it in 10,000 mile intervals in both my Tundra and wife's Solara.

Amsoil

Synthetics are good but not all are created equal. Read the engineering specs. Mobil 1 is motor oil Amsoil carries motor oil, ATF, gear oil, 2 cycle oil, grease spray lubricants. Yes the dealer network is a wierd multilevel system but so is any company, I don't wnat to get into theis here. There are many retail outlets that carry Amsoil pick one.:grinpimp:

I have used Mobil 1 for years and haven't had any problems yet. I extended my change time to 5,000 miles and the cost works out about the same as 3,000 miles changes with dino oil.

mike

I use Mobil 1 in my 1995 Pathfinder. After 170,000 miles the engine is still perfect.

Zack

Why use a blend or dyno oil when you can use a full synthetic like Amsoil? I have been using Amsoil for over 20 years and have had great success. I have changed the oil at 25,000 miles and the filters at 12,500. Yes, it's a bit more $$ than the other oils up front but do the math and figure your savings in oil changes. It makes it about 1/2 the price and think of the time saved not to mention the extended life of your vehicle. Winter startup will be easier, most see improved fuel economy, and you vehicle will last longer. Don't use Amsoil or any synthetic for about 7,000 to 10,000 miles. Give your engine a chance to break-in. (Synthetics reduce friction so parts don't break-in or seat as easily)

1MtnGoat said:
Why use a blend or dyno oil when you can use a full synthetic like Amsoil? I have been using Amsoil for over 20 years and have had great success. I have changed the oil at 25,000 miles and the filters at 12,500. Yes, it's a bit more $$ than the other oils up front but do the math and figure your savings in oil changes. It makes it about 1/2 the price and think of the time saved not to mention the extended life of your vehicle. Winter startup will be easier, most see improved fuel economy, and you vehicle will last longer. Don't use Amsoil or any synthetic for about 7,000 to 10,000 miles. Give your engine a chance to break-in. (Synthetics reduce friction so parts don't break-in or seat as easily)
Exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom