What strategy for hdj100 4.2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned my 4.2 ‘98 hdj 100 for about 12 years. It has 180 000 miles and is religiously maintained. I plan on keeping it as long as possible.

I am trying to slighty improve performance and also extend reliability. Car is based in France.

I am concerned the turbo is getting a bit long in the tooth. It is also an old design. So I am pondering changing the following:
- rrplacing OEM with Munroe Racing billet version (the mid range, good for up to 18psi) and 18psi spring in waste gate
- replacing OEM downpipe with larger diameter and sport cell cat (I want to retain cat to ensure I pass emissions tests)
- replacing OEM intercooler with Allisport much larger version and also replacing the oem plastic intercooler to turbo hose with upgraded version

However, I can’t find anyone to then tune the ECU. No one either in my area to tune with unichip or equivalent. I could buy a plug and play version but calibrated to oem not the revised set up.

Assuming I don’t tune anything, I am still hoping to get low down torque gains from newer turbo, more performance in hot weather with cooler intake temps. The more efficient downpipe should help keeping egt down so hopefully the different spring in the turbo maximise performance without ECU cutting fuel.

Or do you think that without a remap all is useless ?

Which turbo have you got? These already do almost 18psi stock.

Some of the euro engines had VNT turbochargers.

I have the first generation turbo (not the variable vane one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom