What do you tow your 80 series on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swamp-thing

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking for a heavy duty trailer that can handle towing the "Big Pig" 80 series.....
I saw a 14 ft x 7 ft equipment (skid steer) trailer with two 5200# axles & brakes on both that seemed to be just about right.

However, it looks like most "car haulers" on the market are 16,18,20 footers.......
Is all that extra space there for a reason? Or just to be more functional?
Who tows a 20 foot car??

Anyway, It seems like the cruiser will fit fine on a 14ft trailer but am I pushing the envelope too much?
Or is it as basic as, if it fits -- tow it.....

I would also be using this for shorter 40 series, I'm less worried about that.

Experienced opinions appreciated.

Thanks!!

I've towed for years a 60 and 80 with a 18 foot dovetail with 3500 pound axles. I have had to replace a spring or two but its been no problem. I know its right at its limits but when using a heavier trailer it really ups the work load on the truck unless you using a big tow rig. I've now switched to this 20 foot tilt trailer and love it for the 40. 80 works fine but don't use it for that much anymore.

20170729_094554.jpg

Thanks — and I guess to my question about length, is the 20 footer giving you some type of advantage over the 18 you used to use? I see a lot of unused space there on that 20 footer, but if its for safety I get it.

Here is my set up 1993 Dodge W250 with a 16ft Road King trailer. The trailer has 5k axles with brakes and weighs 2100lbs it works just about perfect for me.

full

full

full

Thanks, do you think 14ft would be cutting it too close?

I wouldn't have minded if my trailer was 18-20 ft. on the deck so in my opinion a 14ft would be on the short side.

I appreciate the advice — I was on the fence with 14ft — i could see both advantages & disadvantages to a physically smaller trailer vs a larger one ( all other things being equal — axle rating, sprung weight etc )

You might run into issues with a 14' deck with strap length and angle tying an 80 down unless you use wheel straps. 16' decks work good all around but like most guys i wish it was longer but i use my trailer for all sorts of stuff..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom