What do I need to avoid in a series 200 LC? Bought one. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking at some sort of LC for a while and am going to look at a 2008 with 114000 miles on it. Looks nice in the pictures and has a lot of service records from Toyota. Southern car with 1 accident on the carfax. Anything to immediately make me run away ? Going to look at 2 in the next few days. Any big upcoming issues? It is stone stock from the pictures. Thanks for reading this

I take it this time. These are the main things that seem to go wrong in the 100k-125k point:
Radiator--seems vulnerable to crack at top, raised boss for part #. Will spew coolant when it fails
Starting motor
Water pump / replaced

Someone may chime in with a thread of things to look at, but this should get you started.
There are lists of things for 80 and 100 series over on sleeoffroad.com. a lot of ot is generic to looking over these types of cars.

1 of the 2 LC's I am looking at has had 2 water pumps and a radiator. Should I be concerned?

1) Personally, I would pass on one with an accident history. A Land Cruiser is a vehicle that you can keep for a generation, or more. I’d try to find one without an accident in its past. It simply leaves a lot of unknowns that may or may not come back to haunt you during ownership. A bumper respray or windshield replacement, or similar small cosmetic job, isn’t really a big deal if it was done right - but I would shy away from a truck that’s had bodywork, panel/bumper replacements (unless the owner upgraded to a functional bumper - like an ARB bullbar), etc.

2) The other thing I would avoid would be a truck with a rusty undercarriage.

1 of the 2 LC's I am looking at has had 2 water pumps and a radiator. Should I be concerned?

Those are PM items - not really a concern.

What’s the mileage?

Two water pumps seems a bit odd unless the mileage is high (200k+ , but I’m not expert). Maybe one was defective - seems unlikely, but who knows.

Both of these are at about 115,000 miles. 1 had a water pump at 48,000 and another at 90,000 miles.

Get a good mechanic to look it over, particularly for accident damage. If this is being sold at a dealer any reputable one will put it on a lift for you to check out as well.

1. Rust, which probably won't be an issue if it's actually been a southern car and wasn't a northern car sold at auction to a southern dealer.

2. Along the lines of #1, look at the KDSS valve screws to see if they are rusted solid or look reasonably clean. Even if you don't lift your truck, frozen KDSS valves will make things like future strut replacement much more labor intensive

3. Accident is questionable. Really depends on what happened. Someone backing into the truck in a parking lot might show up if the police were called or if the insurance or body shop reports it. But any vehicle could have an unreported accident as not everything shows up in Carfax. My wife backed into someone pulling out of a driveway once and dented the bumper (different truck). She didn't call the police, just filed an insurance claim. I don't know if that old carfax was clean or if it showed "1 accident", for instance.

4. If it was located in a recent area that flooded due to a hurricane I would be concerned about water damage.

Both a 2011 with 95,000 miles, stone stock and 2 owners, Southern truck, some maintenance records and from a dealer owned by a guy with about 15 older Land Cruisers mainly FJ-40's including a troop carrier, The 3 FJ-40's in the showroom are nicer than they were when they were new.

Pic of the rear fender rolled lips. See where the factory coating end and bare metal (not even painted) starts?

Pic of fender lip inner

AC8F522A-F5D8-479A-927F-690731370B9E.jpeg

FBA9B4A5-CCD6-4456-B6F8-45740FEC63A0.jpeg

I will have to crawl under and have a look. I removed the rear seats tonight

Both a 2011 with 95,000 miles, stone stock and 2 owners, Southern truck, some maintenance records and from a dealer owned by a guy with about 15 older Land Cruisers mainly FJ-40's including a troop carrier, The 3 FJ-40's in the showroom are nicer than they were when they were new.
Thomasville Toyota?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom