What could cause rear wheels to lock up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All - I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser that refused to budge when I went to drive it today. After a bit of investigation I have found that even with the transmission in neutral the rear wheels will only slightly - less than a centimeter - rock back and forth. The front wheels rotate normally. I do not think it is the parking brake as when I apply that the wheels freeze completely and then go back to rocking when the parking brake is released. I have jacked up the back end and tried manually spinning the wheels with no luck. I can see the rotors moving ever so slightly when I try to spin the wheels so I figure it isn't a brake system issue.
There have not been any strange noises coming from the FJ and the last time it was driven was 2 days ago. I washed it and then drove it into the garage with no indication of any problems. I fired it up today with no issues, put it in reverse, and almost nothing happened. Just a slight lurch backwards and then completely still. Same thing if I put it in drive. Just slight jerk forward but no movement. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas about what could be causing this? Many thanks for any guidance.

Manual or automatic? Did you try to spin the driveshaft a little? Rear locker?

If it's an automatic maybe the parking pawls aren't disengaging. Otherwise it might still be the trans but also transfer case or rear end. Hopefully nothing serious. Good luck and try to give us more info.

If you can't figure anything else out maybe pull the rear driveshaft and see if you can drive in 4wd with the front wheels only?

Thanks Prairie Swamp - Do you think that since power is being delivered to the back end - since it will rock a little when put into gear - that rules out the tranny and the transfer case? It is an auto transmission. I'll look into the parking pawls - good idea.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the internals of that parricular transmission. Since it drove done until you parked I'm guessing transmission.

The parking pawls when engaged (in Park) will usually allow a little "give" like you're describing. Just guessing. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Google is probably you're friend here. I don't even know the series on that tranny is as mine is manual.

Hopefully there's a quick (cheap) fix.

that's an interesting one. was it driving fine at the time you parked it? did you drive straight into the parking spot or was it a hard turn? Can you put the transmission in all positions(R,N,D,4,3,2,1)? will it shift into 4wd? is it stuck in between 4wd and 2wd? .. free time consuming things you can do; jack back end up, disconnect the drive shaft. Grab hold of a wheel and try to rotate it. If it doesn't turn it could be either a stuck brake caliper piston or broken rear diff. IF you can rotate the wheels then it could be a transfer case or transmission issue. how many miles?

Last edited:
Remove wheels and check your rear calipers. A frozen caliper got me last year.
Hi All - I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser that refused to budge when I went to drive it today. After a bit of investigation I have found that even with the transmission in neutral the rear wheels will only slightly - less than a centimeter - rock back and forth. The front wheels rotate normally. I do not think it is the parking brake as when I apply that the wheels freeze completely and then go back to rocking when the parking brake is released. I have jacked up the back end and tried manually spinning the wheels with no luck. I can see the rotors moving ever so slightly when I try to spin the wheels so I figure it isn't a brake system issue.
There have not been any strange noises coming from the FJ and the last time it was driven was 2 days ago. I washed it and then drove it into the garage with no indication of any problems. I fired it up today with no issues, put it in reverse, and almost nothing happened. Just a slight lurch backwards and then completely still. Same thing if I put it in drive. Just slight jerk forward but no movement. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas about what could be causing this? Many thanks for any guidance.
check emergency brake doessn't use caliper totally different system its inside rotor sometimes freeze up or come apart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom