What 5125 bilsteins? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought my truck a month ago I got it with 3" lift springs installed on it back in Japan! They didn't change the factory shocks out when they installed the springs and since then I've blown the shocks! I'm looking for a decent shock to upgrade to without spending a pile of cash! I've heard good things about the 5125 bilsteins, what should I look at for valving options? Or maybe someone has a better recommendation on shock choice?! I drive rough oil patch roads to work every day so it spends its majority of time off pavement!

You can get the Fox 2.0's for the same price and they are actually valved properly for the truck.

ChiTown, are you recommending the Fox's because the Bilsteins are universal and not valved specifically for an 80?

My truck had Bilsteins when I bought it, and I thought the ride was good. When I switched to OME Nitrochargers I found I could travel much faster off road without bouncing passengers off of the headliner. YMMV, but I've been very pleased.

ChiTown, are you recommending the Fox's because the Bilsteins are universal and not valved specifically for an 80?
So, here's a little tale: I've had 5125s on the Blazer a few years ago. So, somewhat similar to an 80 in terms of overall footprint, and weight. The engine in the 80 is certainly heavier than the smallblock in the Blazer, and the 1-ton front axle in that Blazer is heavier than the minitruck 80 frontend - so, more unsprung weight in that K5, and of course leafs vs. coils. At that time, the only valving offered for Bilstein 5125s with the right length (8" travel in the front, 10" in the rear) was 255/70.
That valving ended up to be woefully inadequate, not even close. But Blingsteins sure are shiny... :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm reasearching what shocks to pair with TJM 50mm progressive springs and I'll be sure to check Billy 5125's off the list!

Why not TJM shocks to go with your TJM springs?

Why not TJM shocks to go with your TJM springs?

I'm sure TJM shocks are great but I'm researching to see if there are any better options based on other member's reviews and experience.

Good reviews on the Fox 2.0's. ~$450/set.

Hey LFD, would you go with Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP or TJM XJS Tiger Adjustables?

Downsouth's ebay store has the Fox 2.0 IPFs for $120 each.
Metaltech has the TJM Tigers for $113 a pop.

The Fox bodies will do better against the elements.
The Tigers allow you to adjust dampening characteristics to fit your driving needs.

Both have equally great reviews and fall within the same price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom