Welding/Fab Help Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
I was looking to take my RTT with us to CO later this month (June) and was thinking how nice it would be to have it mounted to my m416 trailer. I have plans to build a rack that can raise and lower, but that is for a later date.

For now, I was wondering if anyone could help me quickly fab up a clamp on two bar rack to mount the tent on for the upcoming trip. Simple and ugly are fine. I would love to learn a bit about welding as well so I will assist as much as possible/required. I will pay for materials, supplies (tips, wire, gas, etc.), time and refreshments if someone is interested. I also have some Thule bars and parts and bars we could modify to save time and materials if you think it would help.

Thanks!

Do you have any type of drawing of what you envision and is fabbed from steel or aluminum? That 8020 aluminum is bolt together stuff made for do-it-yourselfers.

When is your trip? You have an idea of a design? I have a gas MIG welder that i used to fab up my front and rear bumper. I could maybe bring it up to @Phulcrum and it can be available for club use since his place tends to be the wrench day spot.

I can try! No major designs yet... The trailer has a rolled edge lip (outer) that I could clamp a c channel around to hold. I was thinking of keeping the rack just about a foot or so above the top of the trailer... Two bars across the rack should be all I need...

@Tylerh84 are you bringing your 60 so we can do a quick tune on it?

I can try! No major designs yet... The trailer has a rolled edge lip (outer) that I could clamp a c channel around to hold. I was thinking of keeping the rack just about a foot or so above the top of the trailer... Two bars across the rack should be all I need...

@Tylerh84 are you bringing your 60 so we can do a quick tune on it?

Yeah, i'll bring ole girl! I got all 45' new vaccuum hose in last night and hoping to have a new water thermostat in this week before the wrench day.

Cool... I think I have a vacuum gauge too if you need one while you work on the system..

Here's what the trailer and railing look like... Ignore all of the crap inside the trailer...

IMG_20190602_120238.jpg

IMG_20190602_120252.jpg

IMG_20190602_120256.jpg

I was thinking of some kind of clamp that could sit over/across the rail and then have another set of cross bars that is about one or two feet higher for the tent to mount to... Don't want to get to detailed as I know we have some creative people here that know more fab than I do. Essentially the two primary needs are RTT mount and moderate access to the contents of the trailer. If also like to be able to tarp the top of the trailer under the RTT, but am fine cutting the tarp for any leg/bar work needed for the mount.

Problem very likely solved... Craigslist find for $250. Older model which is supposed to be much stronger and rated for 450 lbs dynamic so should be plenty strong for our needs.

It will be interesting learning the best way to raise and lower with the RTT mounted, but I have seen some people using a jack and crossboard across the lips of the tub to help with that.

I need to modify the mounts for the RTT to fit the wide crossbars, but that should be fairly easy...

I will post more as I mount the tent and while travelling.

IMG_20190607_152620.jpg

IMG_20190607_152837.jpg

Step 2.

And the added bonus of organizing mom's garage!

IMG_20190609_153933.jpg

It's not too heavy so I think my GF and I can push it up by the crossbars and lock in the stops. I should be finishing the mounts tomorrow and will bring I tot the house to do some trial runs of rasing and lowering as well and deployment and stowing.

Luckily those will stay in the bed and help the trailer stay right side up!

Be sure to eat you Wheaties! While the weight may be manageable binding could be an issue?

Yeah... it will take more finesse than brute force

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom