welded rear breaks what first?

Content may include affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Disassembled that carrier this evening. A little clean up work and I think I'll be ready to start welding. Any last minute pointers? I'm looking forward to trying this. If I like the Lincoln Locker in the rear I'll put the lockright up front.

woody

Staff member
Admin
just make sure it clean and make sure you have all 4 gears tight onto the shims...NO SLOP. That's about the most important part...

I have 3 or 4 carriers torn down right now (broken pinions) and noticed that only one of them has steel thrust bearings. The others are that copper color like used babbit. I figured the steel ones would be more conducive to the welding process and the rigidity of the finished spool.

I was watching Hammerhead tear down those rear-ends( I hate 90wt and skinned nuckles) and we were talking about what breaks first. Make sure you don't have even the tiniest ding in your drivelines. One good jolt with a locker or a welded diff and that driveline is gone. Mine is pretty! I carry the twisted piece for a conversation piece.

It's pretty all right. The ugly part was were it twisted. Right in the middle of the staircase on steelbender. I had to scramble under the rig while he froze on the brakes. I think I set a world record for removing a driveline. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom