1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weld tie rod end nut?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mtweller, Aug 22, 2006.

1. mtweller

mtweller

So I'm replacing my tie rod ball joints, and I guess I put a little too much on the nut, and it is stripped. Won't back off either. The kit had a lock washer in it, which was not used in the oem application. I should have known to leave it off, but now there are not enough threads showing to insert the carter pin (because of the washer tickness). I'm thinking I'll just tack weld that nut on and be done with it.

Opinions???

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Remove the junk piece and install a new one properly.....it is your steering, and not just your life in the mix bud....

So where did you get a tie rod end kit that had a lock washer with it? :rolleyes:

3. mtweller

mtweller

I've had it for 2 years, so I don't even recall. Funny thing is, only one had a lock washer. It's the one that connect the relay and tie rod at the pass wheel. I think it came from JTO, but not sure.

I wonder if I can buy just that one piece? I'll check some vendors, but I'm sure it won't be cheap since it's not going to require a full kit. Hell, maybe NAPA will have it.

4. timbercruiser

timbercruiser

Carquest does NOT have it.

Got my kit from Kurt.

5. shelfboy1

shelfboy1

get mine from napa most of the time put some pressure on the end use jack or whatever nut may come off then good luck

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">