Events/Trails Weird ABS event today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm making a routine run to wally world today and when i get out of the drive way, i notice the ABS light is still on. FWIW, it comes on as it should when I push the CDL switch and goes away appropriately (up until now). Wally is only a few miles away so I pull into the parking lot and kill the engine. Steering wheel feels like it vibrating a bit. Get out and visually inspect the ABS sensors. I just did my rear axle maintenance about 3 weeks ago and I cleaned them in the process. I did the front axle service about 6 months ago and cleaned the fronts then. When I get back in the car it feels like the brake pedal is vibrating slightly as is the steering wheel. ABS light stays on for the ride home. Funny thing is the brakes actually feel BETTER this way. They were a little spongy even with new pads/rotors/bleeing. On the way home i find a nice secluded spot and slam on the brakes. Sure enough, multiple tires lock up so no ABS. In the garage, I pop the hood and I can hear and smell what I'm assuming is the ABS actuator assembly over the left fender well. It smells like it is burning. I disconnect the harness nearest the fender line and the motor stops. I plug it back in and it stays off. A quick crank of the car and the ABS light goes off as normal. I pump the brakes a few times and it feels back to "normal" and the light stays off. While the light was on I used my scangauge to look for codes and it couldn't find any.

this is new territory for me and i'm not sure where to start. any ideas? thanks.

yeah, i figure i'll dig into that tonight. gotta finish putting some trailer hubs back together. i was hoping some of the more experienced guys might be able to streamline my troubleshooting.

yeah, i figure i'll dig into that tonight. gotta finish putting some trailer hubs back together. i was hoping some of the more experienced guys might be able to streamline my troubleshooting.

Yeah, I know; I just couldn't resist.

I'm guessing there's a nice troubleshooting guide in the FSM; pretty sure the light's not just to let you know it's disengaged in 4lo, but that it's also a trouble indicator similar to the CEL.

The ABS indicator has some diagnostics you can access using a jumper wire in that plug thingy on the passenger side firewall. It is well detailed in the FSM (but you've already been told about that.....). Since the indicator is no longer on you may be out of luck though.

i drove it to the parts store tonight and it was totally normal. not sure what happened. maybe some gunk got trapped in one of the lines. still haven't finished the trailer hubs. no one in my local area had the *&^% correct sized socket so i can torque the castle nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom