We Explore Medano Pass near Westcliff, CO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Medano Pass is one of my favorite trails in Colorado, so thanks for videoing things. It's been a decade since we were back there, so this is a reminder to get back there soon. I always liked that it was an easy trail, but the high water and wash outs look like the trail is not always as tame as I recall.

We typically use Medano as either First Dirt or Last Dirt Call, coming or going. I noticed you went up from GSD and then returned. Is the trail now closed on the east side or that was just your preference?

One time, my brother and I set up camp just outside the park boundary. We were sitting there sloshing down some beer as the day ended in twilight when a doe just strolls through camp like we weren't there. Very cool. She is followed by several bucks, who were mostly paying attention to her, although shooting us sideways glances. Interesting. Then she apparently circled around and tried it again. This went on for several more passes, with it ending as dusk fell. She did give the brush-off to several of her suitors by this cagey set of moves.

Another time, we came in from the east late one afternoon, looking forward to the first trail of the trip. We'd just crested the pass and started down the west side, so we were already a good 20 to 30 miles from civilization. Suddenly we spot this kid about 12 years old stumbling UP the trail (it still wouldv't been closer to go west back to the NP. Turns out dad managed to lose track and stick the family FJ40 into the top of tree while not paying attention on the trail. Now, it was a very small tree, but did keep the Cruiser from rolling over, a good thing as there were 4 or 5 more family members huddled inside all counting on the kid to bring help. After an hour or so of rigging and winching from the 84 Isuzu Trooper I was running at the time, we got them back on the trail and went on to pitch camp and cook some well-deserved grub.

Hey greentruck! I like coming in from the east side and pick nick at the great sand dune park; the trail is closed seasonally. Funny thing, the ruff spot on the trail in the video was leveled two months later and is very much easy again. It's a great trail for the a family trip. Crazy story about the treed cruiser, good on ya for helping them out of a bind. Cheers!

Last edited:
The trail being closed seasonally makes sense. Guess I've just not been there during the closed season yet. I know they had a fire in the area a few years back and that can also lead to a temp closure.

Yeah, Great Sand Dunes is maybe the only national park where there's a legal free way in. I've paid the fee anyway on the way out at least a couple of times simply because I like supporting the national park system.

I'm like most of us here, glad to help anyone on the trail who needs it. I will say that this is the ONLY time I've ever needed to use the winch for recovery in Colorado. That's all on vehicles less capable than the 80 series is, so one reason why I'm just not that motivated to bother running larger tires or lockers on the 80.

Very good video. My cruiser has done that pass all it's life. I have seen everything from bears, big Horn sheep, to a bunch of wild turkeys that were blocking the trail. The sand dunes themselves are a sight to behold and definitely worth the trip.

Very good video. My cruiser has done that pass all it's life. I have seen everything from bears, big Horn sheep, to a bunch of wild turkeys that were blocking the trail. The sand dunes themselves are a sight to behold and definitely worth the trip.
Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom