water can rust abatement? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some older NATO water cans and one's kinda rusty.

Anyone know how to kill the rust and restore the enamel without ruining the purpose of the can? I don't really want to imbibe too many more chemicals other than what's already in our drinking water....

p1000501d.jpg

Edit: The can's an old "Bellino" if anyone's interested. Bought it at Sportsman's warehouse about 10 years ago.

p1000502p.jpg

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited:
For the 9bux it cost to buy a new plastic can from Walmart, I wouldn't bother, unless metal cans have more value to you than just toting water.

It's not just the rusty neck: you could get that sleeved, tho not cheaply. My concern is the rust on the inner wall, seen below the most rusty spot on sleeve.

The time and chemicals it requires to stop, seal and prevent rust, then re-seal it for potable water: not inexpensive.

IMHO, and best of luck to ya! :):)

There in lies the caveat: I don't drink water (willingly) from plastic jugs made in China and I won't shop at Walmart. ;)

It's really only the neck that is rusting- the other is just stains from rust running down the can. I'm curious if I just couldn't wirewheel the rust with a dremel and then spray some food-safe enamel on the bare metal. :hmm:

Thanks!

For the 9bux it cost to buy a new plastic can from Walmart, I wouldn't bother, unless metal cans have more value to you than just toting water.

It's not just the rusty neck: you could get that sleeved, tho not cheaply. My concern is the rust on the inner wall, seen below the most rusty spot on sleeve.

The time and chemicals it requires to stop, seal and prevent rust, then re-seal it for potable water: not inexpensive.

IMHO, and best of luck to ya! :):)

I run two steel water cans and they have a bit of "flash" rust in the mouth. Prior to use I "bleach" em out, rinse, air dry and refill. At the end of use I do the same and then store them upside down with the lid open.
You may consider using some baking soda and a tooth brush to remove any scaly particles and then wipe with veggy oil to reduce flash rusting in the future.

Good luck.
cargo 3 compressed.jpg

Last edited:
You could try filling it with water and laundry powder and putting an anode down into the can through the spout. Then hook up your battery charger to it. Positive to anode, negative to can.

There are a few write ups on de-rusting here on mud.

There are companies that replate school cooking ware, like large kettles. I wonder if they'd be willing to do the job? Just make sure they understand these are water cans, not gas cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom