Washington State Camping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nwoutdoor.com
Looking for new areas to spend the weekend. Quiet places, group camps, off the beaten path, lake camping, hard to get to camps etc...etc...
We do a lot of backpacking but the snow is going to take forever to melt in the high country. Would like to find some place to camp for the weekend with a little off-road exploring, hiking and just hanging out with a few brews and a fire to cook on.
We are on the West coast but like the east side of the mountains when the weather is better.
Any ideas are welcome...............thanks

My favorite place is out on the Olympic pensula

One of my favorite camping spots is the South Fork of the Hoh. The free campground doesn't get many visitors. A side trip to Ruby Beach from here is always good. It is also the gateway to the Valhallas.

Javin Elliff Photography : South Fork Hoh River

In my opinion, you can't beat the area of Hwy 410 between Chinook Pass and Naches. The place is beautiful, usually not too crowded, the weather is usually nice, and there are lots of campsites, hiking trails, serious wheeling trails, mild wheeling trails, and places to fish. Try the FS19 area along the Little Naches River.

x2 What Todd said. I also love the coast area. Mora campground is an awesome place too.

We did camp a couple weeks ago.
From Union Gap in Eastern WA. head back West on Ahtanum Rd.
Drive through Ahtanum (small town) and keep going to the end.
Campgrounds (need Discovery Pass) Saw lots 2 & 4 wheel toys buzzing around. Was fairly quiet but kept running into snow.

Greenwater is a great area too with great views of Mt. Rainier.
That is where I do most of my free camping.

Plenty of streams, rivers, ect for a water source, and most of the good sites have a rock fire ring built.

You do need a forest service permit to camp though, and you can get a daily pass or an annual one at the Green Water General store.

Hi All:

Lots of good spots in Eastern Washington, especially along the eastside of the Cascade Mountain range.

In no particular order, the Methow Valley, Entiat, Chocklum Pass, Nile.

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for new areas to spend the weekend. Quiet places, group camps, off the beaten path, lake camping, hard to get to camps etc...etc...
We do a lot of backpacking but the snow is going to take forever to melt in the high country. Would like to find some place to camp for the weekend with a little off-road exploring, hiking and just hanging out with a few brews and a fire to cook on.
We are on the West coast but like the east side of the mountains when the weather is better.
Any ideas are welcome...............thanks

Where is Chocklum Pass & Nile?
Are there some good places to camp (away from the campgrounds)?
We went up Eniat road a while back and just drove around the maountains untill we found a good solitude place to kick back.

Colockum pass is the original stage coach line between Ellensburg and Wenatchee. Hi clearance 4W drive and good tires and you're there. Really pretty area. Low range not needed. Maps available on line or at the Ellensburg ranger (or BLM?) office. Good campsites all over the place. Due to high snow winter, not sure when this will be open.

Nile...never been there, but Mapquest says it's SW of Ellensburg...and the area looks to be ripe with camping opportunities.

Code:
Colockum pass is the original stage coach line between Ellensburg and Wenatchee.

I'll have to check that one out this summer.....Thanks

Hi All:

Clockum Pass goes between SE Wenatchee and Kittitas, WA. (just east of Ellensburg on I-90.)

Like Doug (Lovetoski) wrote, it is an historical travel corridor(I thought it was a mule train route?) It skirts the edge of the Clockum Elk preserve which is pretty cool (I've found elk antlers up along there.)

Nile is an area just south of Washington State Hwy. 410, between Yakima and Cliffdale (aka Whistling Jacks Lodge.) If you travel due south from Hwy. 410 you will leave the valley and surmount a ridge with a view southwards across the Snoqualmie National Forest, without a clear-cut to be seen! :)

To travel in the Nile area, look for Clover Springs Road heading south from Nile Road (aka Hwy. 410 detour.)

Regards,

Alan

My camping flashlight is too heavy

Colockum pass seems a nice place for camping, I am planing a camping trip this weekend, when I am packing my camping bag I found it too heavy, so I decide to cut some weight, finally I noticed my camping flashlight is too heavy since there are lots of light weighted flashlight online. why not I buy a new light one? But I am going out this weekend, paying express shipping cost as more than USD 12.00 seems do not worthy . So should I bear my heavy flashlight this time ?

Colockum pass seems a nice place for camping, I am planing a camping trip this weekend, So should I bear my heavy flashlight this time ?

Just get a headlamp. The only way to go.
If you go to Colockum Pass let us know how the road is.

Took a day trip over Colockum Pass 14 July. Went from Ellensburg to Wenatchee, then walked around Leavenworth, filled a couple growlers, had an ice cream cone. Put about 420 miles on Burt. This was our first road trip in the Land Cruiser and it was a great time. Road is easy 4x4 not needed. I used low range just to keep the speed down in a few spots. We were just out of reach of a thunder storm...

7615664276_6b58c972eb_z.jpg

7615665990_15bcdac245_z.jpg

7615664878_b4daf71394_z.jpg

The Palouse Falls area is a good area in the Eastern side of WA.

We will be heades to a state park near the HOH rain forest in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom