Warn M8000 vs. XD9000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4x4him.com
This is a cross post because the winching thread (Warn M8000 vs. XD9000) has little traffic and science this is going on my FJ60 I thought it would apply:

Due to some trading I now own both of these winches. In the name the XD9000 sounds better but when you look at motor HP and gear ratio the M8000 has .2 hp more and a gear ratio 60:1 lower. To me that means the 8000 may be slower but has more pulling power. Is the M8000 under rated like the 8274? Which one is truly better?

Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: M8000

Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: XD9000

I have never had a problem with a 8000lb for any rig. I'm not worried about the weight, I just find it interesting that the M8000 has a higher hp motor and lower gears.

Here you go from Warn themselves.
Warn Industries - How to choose the right winch

The GVWR of a 1986 FJ60 is 5360 lbs. So just over that m8000 rating is you do the 1.5 multiplier.
Add, bumpers, winch rack, etc, more crap inside (we all know we carry more) and you can hit 6500-7000lbs damn fast.

With all of that said, with a snatch block back to yourself. You effectively double your pulling capacity.
I am sticking a older 8274 on mine. Why? i have had three of these and all three look old as hell (one was so messed up the free-spool handle was jammed and you could only power out) but all three never let me down. Now I am on my 4th as the other were sold years ago.
I can say the same for the M8000 i hear people who have had these and they lasted forever it seems.
That XD9000 who knows.

So keep the m8000 throw a snatch block on it and go to town.

Once again its not the question of which one will work because I know they will both do the job. What I am curious about is why the winch with the lower pull rating has a higher hp motor and a lower gear ratio???

On the links in the original post you click on specifications and it gives all that info. That is what i wanted to know. Why the M8000 which has 1000lbs less pulling power has .2 HP more and a gear ratio of 60:1 lower. In my book when you have more HP and a lower crawl ratio you can pull more.

I can tell you this: These winches will pull the rated capacities, and I wouldn't advise trying to pull more than that. So long as you have a snatchblock and a rope extension, both winches should be good for lots of applications. I can't comment on why the HP/gear ratio is what it is.

- Andy

Not the answer I wanted but it was the one I would expect. Keeping those trade secrets, secrets. Maybe I will have to crack them open and investigate for my self.

Cmon J, EVERYBODY thinks their stuff is better today than dads stuff was 10 years ago...My bet is the old winch will outpull the new winch, but I wouldn't advise trying to prove it...

the used to tell the truth ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom